Identical G-code, printer, and filament, but quality is degrading.

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
stevenbennett
(@stevenbennett)
Eminent Member

I've been printing the same model with the same g-code on my MK3s for several months. I'm using the exact same filament brand and I've made no modifications to my printer other than general maintenance like nozzle replacements when necessary and firmware updates when released by Prusa (now on 3.9.1).

Still, the results on this part have degraded to the point of being borderline unusable for my purposes. You can see the before and after below (left: before, right: current):

You can see in the photos some of the irregularities appearing on the initial overhang. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to start troubleshooting? Some things I've tried which haven't helped: reduced nozzle temperature (by up to 30c), tightened belts, lubricated all rails, cleaned extruder gears, thoroughly cleaned textured PEI sheet (parts are adequately sticking to the bed), swapped in new nozzle (genuine e3d .4mm), confirmed part cooling fan is running at 100% after first layer.

I'm comfortable doing further troubleshooting and calibration, but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas based on the photos, as I'm a little stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated!

This topic was modified 3 years ago 2 times by stevenbennett
Posted : 21/11/2020 5:55 pm
Swiss_Cheese
(@swiss_cheese)
Noble Member
RE: Identical G-code, printer, and filament, but quality is degrading.

Are you printing from the exact same roll of filament on both printers? and if not I would suggest try drying the one,  that could be an issue.

The Filament Whisperer

Posted : 22/11/2020 2:52 am
stevenbennett
(@stevenbennett)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@swiss_cheese

Good thinking, I can give that a try, thanks for the suggestion.

The part from in the photos was printed from a freshly opened box of Hatchbox PLA. How common is it that new, sealed filament requires drying? 

Posted : 22/11/2020 3:03 am
Swiss_Cheese
(@swiss_cheese)
Noble Member

oh?!! Hachbox white PLA I have had exactly this same issue with that color from Hatchbox, in general I like their PLA but I won't buy the white again, I'm not sure what it is about it, but its happen to me twice with that color and drying didn't help.

to answer your question in general it's not that common, however it does happen.

The Filament Whisperer

Posted : 22/11/2020 3:09 am
stevenbennett
(@stevenbennett)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@swiss_cheese

Wow, how lucky! It seems we're in the same boat. I've had excellent results with Hatchbox up until now (I just checked and this is my 11th roll of white PLA from them). If the filament is to blame for this issue, then they must have changed something recently. I'll do some experimentation with other filament brands and update.

Were you able to find a decent white PLA alternative?

Posted : 22/11/2020 3:44 am
Swiss_Cheese
(@swiss_cheese)
Noble Member

I settled with Overture brand for my white PLA, I don't have a favorite brand but it hasn't given me any grief to date. they sell it on amazon.

The Filament Whisperer

Posted : 22/11/2020 4:45 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@stevethejedi

Common - maybe 5% of the rolls.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 22/11/2020 2:40 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@swiss_cheese

Overture white PLA is decent.  They also have other colors.  I think it is primarily distributed by Amazon. Duramic white PLA is very similar and of good quality.  Both come with a sample print surface.  It is similar to Bondtak.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 22/11/2020 2:47 pm
Swiss_Cheese
(@swiss_cheese)
Noble Member

@Charles

As I think about it, 5 out of every hundred seems about right over all filaments, although I don't consider that common.

I have been using Overture for a little over a year now, I've been very happy with their PETG and TPU's it's a middle of the road quality product, and has not caused me any problems. As for their PLA I would probably use it more if they had more colors,  but I really only use PLA when I'm working on the development of new designs, and then I quickly move to more robust materials for testing.

Thanks for the Tip about Duramic I'll give it a try.

Enjoy,

Dan

The Filament Whisperer

Posted : 22/11/2020 6:36 pm
stevenbennett
(@stevenbennett)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@cwbullet @swiss_cheese

Thanks for the recommendations, I will give some of those a try. Seems like options with < .05mm tolerance are uncommon on Amazon, so I'm also going to try our some pricier Matterhackers PLA.

@swiss_cheese you were right, the issue is definitely the filament. I went back and did a test print on a roll of Red Hatchbox PLA from early 2019 that I know is reliable and the results were near perfect. It really is unfortunate because Hatchbox performed so well and consistently for so long.

Posted : 22/11/2020 6:37 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@swiss_cheese

It depends on how you define common.  To me, it is more than 1%.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 22/11/2020 6:42 pm
Swiss_Cheese
(@swiss_cheese)
Noble Member

@stevethejedi

I think Hatchbox over all is Ok, but something happened to the white and now you can't count on it, at least that's how I feel.

I wish I could have answered before you rebuilt your printer : )  , but I bet its purring like a kitten now. I've done good business with Matterhackers as you may know everything in CA. is expensive.

@Charles

True, if you were to ask me while I was in the middle of cussing a roll, I may see things differently. 😉

The Filament Whisperer

Posted : 22/11/2020 7:05 pm
Share: