Notifications
Clear all

How to stop these zits on my MK3S  

RSS
3dprintingrookie
(@3dprintingrookie)
Trusted Member
How to stop these zits on my MK3S

I’m using Prusa Slicer with default 0.2mm layer height settings and these zits keep appearing. What settings in Prusa Slicer can help me reduce their effect or hide them?

There is an option to print external perimeters first, does that mean it will retract on the inside? Which means no seams on the outer level?

Posted : 11/10/2019 10:56 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member
RE: How to stop these zits on my MK3S

Use vase mode to eliminate seams.  Or align them to a non-visible location on a part.

Posted : 11/10/2019 11:51 pm
3dprintingrookie
(@3dprintingrookie)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @tim-m30

Use vase mode to eliminate seams.  Or align them to a non-visible location on a part.

Is there no other way?

Posted : 12/10/2019 5:31 am
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

Short of not printing it yourself and letting someone else deal with it?

Seams are a fact of life with FDM printing.  Acceleration, jerk, belt tension, K-factor, retraction/de-retraction: these all play into the appearance.  No mystery really, just a lot of factors to consider and trade-offs to make to get seams "seamless." 

Do a deep dive into the forum and you may find a specific set of things to do, but so far I've not found a simple cure to making seamless seams.

And then if you add the MMU Bowden into the conversation...

ps: I am hoping someone else comes along and proves me wrong and says "Do this..."

This post was modified 4 years ago by --
Posted : 12/10/2019 6:05 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @printingrookie

Is there no other way?

Just keep in mind that you can't eliminate z-seams with current consumer-grade FFF printing. You can move them around, hide them (if there are corners on each layer) and minimize them.

1. I would start by calibrating your extrusion multiplier. Any excess filament extruded is going to make those seams worse.
  2. Calibrate the Linear Advance setting for each filament as well. LA will determine how wide that seam gap is. LA is supposed to minimize the need for coasting, wiping, retraction and other work-arounds once you have your extrusion rate calibrated.

Start with those 2, then see how bad it is. Cura has more seam hiding options you can try out. On curved layers with no corners, you'll just have to decide where to try to hide them.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 12/10/2019 6:25 pm
ACE
 ACE
(@ace-2)
Trusted Member

Linear Advance helps a lot, LA1.5 is even more effective but I think it is not in the official firmware branch yet. There is a firmware branch supporting LA1.5 though. If you try out LA15 your K values will differ hugely - there is a tool on the marlin website to generate calibration g-code for LA15 setups.

Do you have the exact same issue (as pronounced as on your pictures) on non curved areas?

This post was modified 4 years ago by ACE
Posted : 13/10/2019 1:10 pm
Share: