Notifications
Clear all

Fusion 360 STL to Prusaslicer size difference please help  

RSS
Plugs
(@plugs)
Eminent Member
Fusion 360 STL to Prusaslicer size difference please help

Folks I am wondering if anyone can help with this one. What I am trying to achieve is printing 1mm cubes on a a bar to go through some mesh I want to hold in place whilst over printing after a pause. 

So in fusion 360 as you can see from my model info the cube is 1mm . But when exported to STL and measured in Meshmixer it shows a depth of 0.4mm . So I am confused how it did this. I have attached screen shots

Posted : 03/12/2020 5:40 pm
Lichtjaeger
(@lichtjaeger)
Noble Member
RE: Fusion 360 STL to Prusaslicer size difference please help

It's hard to tell from the pictures. Is the cube a separate body, that is intersecting the main body?

Or is the unit system of Meshmixer set to imperial?

Posted : 03/12/2020 5:48 pm
Swiss_Cheese
(@swiss_cheese)
Noble Member

Dose the .stl import into prusa slicer at the correct size?

The Filament Whisperer

Posted : 03/12/2020 5:54 pm
JustMe3D
(@justme3d)
Honorable Member

Can you put the native Fusion file here?

I try to give answers to the best of my ability, but I am not a 3D printing pro by any means, and anything you do you do at your own risk. BTW: I have no food for…

Posted : 03/12/2020 11:06 pm
Swiss_Cheese
(@swiss_cheese)
Noble Member

I'm thinking it's a 2540 fix. especially since it's coming out of an Autodesk product

The Filament Whisperer

Posted : 03/12/2020 11:43 pm
Plugs
(@plugs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@swiss_cheese

Whats the 2540 fix ?

But I have inadvertently fixed this . I combined one of the component blocks with the frame and hey presto the stl is now correct. Undid the combine and still STL comes out correctly. Sure it was a fusion thing but know idea what.

Posted : 04/12/2020 11:38 am
Swiss_Cheese
(@swiss_cheese)
Noble Member

Some Autodesk products don't export scale information properly, or at least the same as other software's do. when you go to import .stl's and .obj and a couple others that have been exported from their wares they import tiny, In those cases the fix is to scale the object 2540% and it restores them to proper scale in the imported program.

That's the quick and dirty explanation.

I'm thinking Meshmixer is no longer supported, and I was guessing you were using a newer version of Fusion, so I suspected this could be the issue.

However the way you are describing your fix, it doesn't sound like it was.

The Filament Whisperer

Posted : 04/12/2020 3:59 pm
tlveik
(@tlveik)

I've had this problem when I first started designing in Fusion using inch units.  Loading the resulting STL in to Prusa Slicer gives you a tiny object.

One way to correct this problem is to just design in Fusion using mm units and the STL will load into Prusa Slicer correctly.

You can however design in Fusion using inch units it you want.  When your finished with your design, just change the units to mm and then export the STL.  No manual scaling necessary.  It will load correctly into Prusa Slicer.

Posted : 07/12/2020 1:40 am
Share: