firmware 3.9.0 update - now overextruding on Simplify 3D gcode

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
iain.a.drummond
(@iain-a-drummond)

After updating my firmware to 3.9.0 my MK3S is badly overextruding when printing objects sliced in Simplify 3D. Printing the same gcode from Simplify3D before the update did not overextrude. The same .stl sliced on Prusaslicer does not overextrude on the new firmware. I see that Prusa made efforts to keep the new firmware backwards compatible but somehow the extrusion parameters are handled differently by the new firmware. I don't see giving up Simplify3D for Prusaslicer. I see this as a bug in the new firmware.

Posted : 04/07/2020 5:35 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member
RE: firmware 3.9.0 update - now overextruding on Simplify 3D gcode
Posted by: @iain-a-drummond

After updating my firmware to 3.9.0 my MK3S is badly overextruding when printing objects sliced in Simplify 3D. Printing the same gcode from Simplify3D before the update did not overextrude. The same .stl sliced on Prusaslicer does not overextrude on the new firmware. I see that Prusa made efforts to keep the new firmware backwards compatible but somehow the extrusion parameters are handled differently by the new firmware. I don't see giving up Simplify3D for Prusaslicer. I see this as a bug in the new firmware.

Hello and welcome in the Prusaforum,

i have decided to continue working with 3.8.1, which is very stable for me, for the time being. Before you switch to another slicer, I would consider a downgrade.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 04/07/2020 6:21 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

After updating my firmware to 3.9.0 my MK3S is badly overextruding when printing objects sliced in Simplify 3D. Printing the same gcode from Simplify3D before the update did not overextrude. The same .stl sliced on Prusaslicer does not overextrude on the new firmware.

Are you using Linear Advance (M900 Kxx) in Simplify 3D gcode? While the new firmware has a routine to auto-convert Linear Advance 1.0 values to LA1.5, I got poor results. I think the auto-conversion tends to use values that are a bit high. I've had better luck since re-calibrating my filament LA values for LA1.5. Once someone pointed this out (thanks @vintagepc), I've been getting good results with firmware 3.9.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 04/07/2020 6:40 pm
iain.a.drummond
(@iain-a-drummond)
Topic starter answered:

@bobstro

Thanks for this info. I will look at recalibrating the linear advance. I can see there are advantages to the new firmware; i'll check it out more thoroughly before i consider a downgrade. thanks.

Posted : 05/07/2020 8:15 pm
iain.a.drummond
(@iain-a-drummond)
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @bobstro

After updating my firmware to 3.9.0 my MK3S is badly overextruding when printing objects sliced in Simplify 3D. Printing the same gcode from Simplify3D before the update did not overextrude. The same .stl sliced on Prusaslicer does not overextrude on the new firmware.

Are you using Linear Advance (M900 Kxx) in Simplify 3D gcode? While the new firmware has a routine to auto-convert Linear Advance 1.0 values to LA1.5, I got poor results. I think the auto-conversion tends to use values that are a bit high. I've had better luck since re-calibrating my filament LA values for LA1.5. Once someone pointed this out (thanks @vintagepc), I've been getting good results with firmware 3.9.

OK I recalibrated the linear advance using the Marlin LA calibration code to modify the startup gcode in Simplify3D; changed M900 K45 to M900 K0.2  Thanks for the suggestion ; LA 1.5 has interesting capabilities.

It is still overextruding badly on the first layer mostly in the y direction of extruder movement as far as I can tell. My choices seem to be to use prusa slicer, recalibrate extrusion with Simplify3D , or downgrade the firmware.

I honestly don't notice a huge improvement with the new firmware but I haven't pushed it too hard. time for a benchy.

Posted : 07/07/2020 2:35 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

OK I recalibrated the linear advance using the Marlin LA calibration code to modify the startup gcode in Simplify3D; changed M900 K45 to M900 K0.2  Thanks for the suggestion ; LA 1.5 has interesting capabilities.

FWIW - The firmware auto-convert will translate LA1.0 45 to LA1.5 0.13. You might tweak those values back just a bit.

It is still overextruding badly on the first layer mostly in the y direction of extruder movement as far as I can tell. My choices seem to be to use prusa slicer, recalibrate extrusion with Simplify3D , or downgrade the firmware.

Only on the 1st layer? If you embed the M900 K0.xx into your startup gcode for Simplify 3D, it should work. I haven't found any other significant changes going from firmware v3.8 to v3.9.

I honestly don't notice a huge improvement with the new firmware but I haven't pushed it too hard. time for a benchy.

A lot of the features are under the hood. The big change is LA1.5. There are some nice fixes. The big one for me was the bug in v3.8.1 that caused massive layer shifts if the sensor filament was enabled. If you aren't having issues with 3.8.1, there no urgency to update. Just be aware of the LA1.5 change whenever you do upgrade.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 07/07/2020 4:15 pm
Share: