Notifications
Clear all

Fan speed at 255  

RSS
Sunshadow
(@sunshadow)
Fan speed at 255

Hi!

After upgrading to MK3s I have the problem that new fan always jumps to the max speed of 255. This ruins every print because the nozzle gets too cool. I tried to set fan speed settings in the project files, but without success. At the moment I have to reduce the speed manually for the first few layers. But something seems to override the settings and the speed jumps back to 255. After some layers the manual settings don't get overrided. Also tried to update the firmware.

Any idea what to do? 

Posted : 24/07/2021 1:39 pm
xenon
(@xenon)
Trusted Member
r

there are settings for the part cooling fan in the filament settings.

the part fan cooling down the hotend sounds...unlikely?

Posted : 24/07/2021 4:16 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member
Fan speed at 255

Posted by: @sunshadow

Hi!

After upgrading to MK3s I have the problem that new fan always jumps to the max speed of 255. This ruins every print because the nozzle gets too cool. I tried to set fan speed settings in the project files, but without success. At the moment I have to reduce the speed manually for the first few layers. But something seems to override the settings and the speed jumps back to 255. After some layers the manual settings don't get overrided. Also tried to update the firmware.

Any idea what to do? 

If you work with PrusaSlicer, you should have a look at the following settings and correct them if necessary:

wbr,

Karl

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 24/07/2021 4:34 pm
Peter M
(@peter-m)
Noble Member

Check if you did not switch the 2 fans with the rebuild.

Use gcode from prusa to check if it is not your slicer.

Posted : 24/07/2021 6:46 pm
bobstro liked
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Heh. That would certainly explain it!
Posted by: @peter-m

Check if you did not switch the 2 fans with the rebuild.

Excellent point! I did this very thing on my Sidewinder.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 24/07/2021 8:48 pm
Sunshadow
(@sunshadow)
Topic starter answered:
Maybe...

Hmmm... not sure. How can I identify the correct fan?

Posted : 24/07/2021 9:43 pm
xenon
(@xenon)
Trusted Member

check the assembly pictures.

the hotend cooling fan cannot be controlled manually. it starts automatically if the hotend is hotter than 50°C.

the part fan can be controlled manually from the temperature menu, for example

Posted : 24/07/2021 9:53 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Try printing and adjusting the part cooling fan speed from the front menu
Posted by: @sunshadow

Hmmm... not sure. How can I identify the correct fan?

A self-test should identify this, but very quickly: If you're doing a print and you turn the fan speed down from the printer menu and the HOTEND fan (on the side) stops or slows, they're reversed.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 24/07/2021 11:11 pm
Sunshadow
(@sunshadow)
Topic starter answered:
Confused

I checked the fans. When I reduce the speed in the printer menu the HOTEND fand slows down. But the wiring to the board is equivalent to the manual.... 

Posted : 25/07/2021 7:27 am
Sunshadow
(@sunshadow)
Topic starter answered:
Update!

I was wrong, the Fan setting controls the front print fan, not the hotend. So wiring should be correct.

Posted : 25/07/2021 7:49 am
Ringarn67
(@ringarn67)
Reputable Member

Save, Zip, and upload a project file in which the problem occurs

Prusa i3 MK3S+ FW 3.11.0 (kit dec -20), PrusaSlicer 2.5.0+win64, Fusion 360, Windows 10

Posted : 25/07/2021 8:07 am
Peter M
(@peter-m)
Noble Member
RE: 1

On prusa website you can download the official stl files, but also the gcode file, these should work, then you can see if it is the slicer.

https://www.prusa3d.com/prusa-i3-printable-parts/

This post was modified 3 years ago by Peter M
Posted : 25/07/2021 8:14 am
Share: