[Solved] Dragging sound on X-Axis  

RSS
Asgard
(@asgard)
Dragging sound on X-Axis

https://forum.prusa3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/20210427_161436.mp4

I'm having problem after upgrade from MK3S to MK3S+

I changed all bearings to MISUMI

Everything is good before moving faster X Axis.

Between the red lines on the picture, I can hear the dragging sound and also you can hear from the video as well

I think the bearings on X carriage don't have any issue because it there's any issues with assemble, should be noise on the other side of X rod. Therefore, I'm guessing the X rod is not straight. Although, there's a dragging noise, I'm still getting a good result.

What do you think? I want to solve this sounds and don't know what to do.

Should I change the X rod?

Best Answer by --:

Did you clean and grease the new bearings? Misumi ships bearings in light rust preventer, not in lubricant.

Another issue is the MK3S extruder can crimp the bearings when the screws in the back of the extruder are too tight, which causes drag and seizing. Try loosening the extruder housing screws closest to the bearings, a full turn or two to rule out this issue. Some find a half turn looser is enough, but a couple turns just to check. You have to remember the tolerance of the rods is not zero - so some diameter change and even bend is expected. A crimped bearing will expose these rod features.

Another not so fun issue is the orange and black parts can be printed on different printers at different times, and this leads to a variance in the spacing of the bearings and rod ends, and you'll see the bearings and seals wear prematurely (black residue on the rods is a sure sign). It can also make for extra drag on the X-axis. A good grease helps.

Posted : 27/04/2021 7:05 am
Asgard
(@asgard)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Dragging sound on X-Axis

I can't edit my post. Therefore, upload video here

Posted : 27/04/2021 7:26 am
Dan Rogers
(@dan-rogers)
Noble Member

Lay a scale across the bars - are they bent?  Take a caliper and measure the distance (outside to outside) every 20 mm along the length of the X axis - are they parallel (the #'s should not be more than a few 10/ths of a mm different along the length).  

When you assembled X, was it really tight?

Are the ends of the bars both visible on each end (looking through the inspection holes?  If the bars are not seated all the way on both ends, this can cause twist or unparallel bars.

Don't bother measuring from the top to the orange plastic - it's not a valid measure due to the design of the parts.

If all of those work out perfect - I notice you are printing a high density infill in that video.  That pattern will create a rasping sound as it prints - so the sound for what you are printing is totally expected - it's the infill you are printing. 

Try printing something small, with the parts spread across X.  It might make your sound "go away"

Posted : 27/04/2021 1:21 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

Did you clean and grease the new bearings? Misumi ships bearings in light rust preventer, not in lubricant.

Another issue is the MK3S extruder can crimp the bearings when the screws in the back of the extruder are too tight, which causes drag and seizing. Try loosening the extruder housing screws closest to the bearings, a full turn or two to rule out this issue. Some find a half turn looser is enough, but a couple turns just to check. You have to remember the tolerance of the rods is not zero - so some diameter change and even bend is expected. A crimped bearing will expose these rod features.

Another not so fun issue is the orange and black parts can be printed on different printers at different times, and this leads to a variance in the spacing of the bearings and rod ends, and you'll see the bearings and seals wear prematurely (black residue on the rods is a sure sign). It can also make for extra drag on the X-axis. A good grease helps.

Posted : 28/04/2021 1:24 am
Asgard
(@asgard)
Topic starter answered:

@dan-rogers

I checked x and z rods with disassemble and fortunately, they aren't bended. Maybe I'll re-assemble X Y Z and E to make sure. Maybe something can be overnighte or I can missed something. Can not find exact problem but I'll try again related with bearing and rods anyway 🙁 

Posted : 28/04/2021 3:58 am
Asgard
(@asgard)
Topic starter answered:

@tim-2

I checked and Z and X rods aren't bended. Therefore I'll do re-assemble X Y Z and E related with bearings following your suggestions. And also I thought the MISUMI bearing comes with lubricant...

I don't know which one is the problem. Therefore, I'll do it from first then if I still have this problem, next step is changing rods I guess.. thanks for your support.

Posted : 28/04/2021 4:01 am
Vincent R
(@vincent-r)

Hello!

I'm having the same issue after building my Prusa MK3s+. Did you find any solution?

Thanks! 🙂

Posted : 13/01/2023 3:51 pm
Share: