Notifications
Clear all

Clogged nozzle mid print  

RSS
Irwin
(@irwin)
Clogged nozzle mid print

Hi everyone, 

I know clogged nozzle is a common topic (and I read extensively about various issues). I think some expert could guide me in the right direction before I try everything. Here are the symptoms, all using PRUSA PETG:

1 - I was able to print 6 times 12 hours objects without any issue

2 - recently, mid way through 15 hours print, the nozzle clogged and print failed. 
I did a cold pull, load/unload filament, everything looks good. But then problem repeats.

3 - I repeatedly tried longer prints, and every time it fails midway after a few hours. Once it's clogged it grinds filament away.
Simply unloading and reloading filament fixes the clog (e.g. filament runs out properly, even pushes the nozzle clog on its own). Easy right? But then I try again... and repeat of the same issue:( 

Note that I am printing the same object repeatedly - the same gcode that succeeded just fine now fails everytime after few hours. The object is a repeat of the same layer for 5 centimeters high ( https://bit.ly/2LFR7xu). Fails halfway through - no stringing, but small outside clog.
Open desk, ambient temp 23 degrees, room is closed when this happens.

I wish the mk3s would stop printing when it detects such issue - would save a lot of filament.

Any idea what to try next?

Thanks!

Irwin

Posted : 17/01/2021 8:30 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
RE: Clogged nozzle mid print

This could be a heatbreak issue.  Try a standard V5 heatbreak over the prusa heatbreak.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 18/01/2021 4:11 am
Irwin
(@irwin)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks Chuck. I'm actually using a titanium alloy heatbreak ( https://bit.ly/2XO8MW2). Could it be a heat paste issue? Last time I took the heatbreak apart I did not re-apply heatpaste, I re-used the same (it was dry).

Can heatbreak (or PETG tube) wear out?

Posted : 18/01/2021 7:22 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@irwin

The heatbreat could be the cause.  I am not aware of them wearing out.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 18/01/2021 12:57 pm
Irwin
(@irwin)
Topic starter answered:

I guess it's time to order a dragon hotend from trianglelabs.

Posted : 18/01/2021 2:14 pm
Martin Stoufer
(@martin-stoufer)
Estimable Member

@irwin

Let us know how that goes. I'm interested in upgrading my hotend too and would like some more unbiased feedback.

Posted : 18/01/2021 9:19 pm
Irwin
(@irwin)
Topic starter answered:

@martin-stoufer

Finally received the hotend. Installing is easy - and so far prints come out perfect - really happy.

When I removed the previous hotend I realized that it was leaking a bit at the radiator level - some mix of heat paste and melted plastic.

So I guess the dragon hotend is a better choice because it has less moving parts.... though if you don't have any issue with your current set up there may not be any reason to switch.

Unrelated but the power panic alarm kept going off recently for no apparent reason (~ once or twice per hour during print). I disconnected it and everything is good now. 

Posted : 08/02/2021 7:08 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@irwin

I have had good results with my Dragon.  It is installed on one of my mini clones.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 08/02/2021 11:53 am
Share: