Clear all

Clicking Sound when Extruder moves along the Y-Axis to the left  

RSS
yan liang.t
(@yan-liang-t)
Eminent Member
Clicking Sound when Extruder moves along the Y-Axis to the left

Hi

Strangely, my MK3 extruder has recently been giving off a clicking sound when moving along the Y-axis, only towards the left. I tried to check my screws and they seem to be tightened right with nothing loose. Anyone knows where the clicking could be coming from? It is also weird since it doesn't click when the extruder is moving to the right.

Posted : 23/12/2018 9:58 am
LA 3D Printer Repair
(@la-3d-printer-repair)
Re: Clicking Sound when Extruder moves along the Y-Axis to the left

X-
Hi

Strangely, my MK3 extruder has recently been giving off a clicking sound when moving along the Y-axis, only towards the left. I tried to check my screws and they seem to be tightened right with nothing loose. Anyone knows where the clicking could be coming from? It is also weird since it doesn't click when the extruder is moving to the right.

Howdy,

So by right you must mean the X-Axis.

And can you perhaps clarify the "clicking", if you watch your extruder motor closely as this noise occurs, does the extruder motor skip? This could indicate the start of a clog, and you may just need to perform a cold-pull to remove nozzle buildup.

Provide some clarification and we'll be happy to assist.

Posted : 24/12/2018 1:45 am
yan liang.t
(@yan-liang-t)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Hi Lee O

Yes, its x-axis.

The clicking sounds only happens whenever the extruder moves to the left. No skipping on the extruder.

Posted : 24/12/2018 9:33 am
LA 3D Printer Repair
(@la-3d-printer-repair)

Hi Lee O

Yes, its x-axis.

The clicking sounds only happens whenever the extruder moves to the left. No skipping on the extruder.

Can you clarify on the specifics of the clicking noise? Perhaps post a video?

Posted : 24/12/2018 10:56 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

I had this when the X axis idler bearing was failing. The bearing hub rotated on the fixing bolt and caused a clicking sound

Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 24/12/2018 2:49 pm
yan liang.t
(@yan-liang-t)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Hi Joan

How should I best go about fixing it?

Posted : 25/12/2018 6:12 am
Ander
(@ander)

Disassemble the x-Axis, Check which bearing is/are failing and swap them with new ones.

Posted : 27/12/2018 12:20 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

the Prusa idler roller has a single bearing make sure it is central in the roller, check that it rotates freely in both directions ...

either replace the bearing, or replace the idler with twin bearing version...

that is what I did.

Regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 27/12/2018 12:53 am
joseph.w14
(@joseph-w14)

I believe I have the same issues with the x-axis motor. For short movements, no clicking occurs. When the movement is approximately > 5cm, a click occurs. The printer was brand new and did not click for the first 20 hours of printing.

Posted : 12/01/2019 7:04 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

the original smooth roller has a single bearing in the hub, if this becomes dislodged and migrates towards the insertion side, the roller will twist and then put a load on the bearing which can defeat the ball race and cause the hub to rotate on the bolt and cause the clicking!

regards Joan

Posted : 12/01/2019 8:15 pm
You liked
randolph.l
(@randolph-l)
Honorable Member

the Prusa idler roller has a single bearing make sure it is central in the roller, check that it rotates freely in both directions ...

either replace the bearing, or replace the idler with twin bearing version...
pulley.JPG

that is what I did.

Regards Joan

Joan, are these the same item
https://smile.amazon.com/HJ-Garden-Aluminium-Synchronous-Mechanical/dp/B07LGKYGY1/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1547331003&sr=8-5&keywords=HJ+Garden+3mm
HJ Garden 2pcs 20 Teeth 3mm Bore Idler Timing Pulley with Bearing 2GT Aluminium Alloy H Type GT2 Synchronous Wheel for 6mm Width Belt 3D Printer CNC Mechanical Drive Silver

Posted : 12/01/2019 11:13 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

They look good Randolph,

although the diagram seems to show the core diameter of the hub without the teeth... as if it were a smooth roller, this is probably done for simplicity

regards Joan

Posted : 12/01/2019 11:39 pm
gd
 gd
(@gd)
RE: Clicking Sound when Extruder moves along the Y-Axis to the left

Hi,

I seem to have the same problem. But not sure where the clicking is happening.
When you are talking about X-axis idler and smooth roller, you mean the X-end idler and the 623h bearing with housing?

And you are suggesting to change the 623h bearing with a toothed bearing?

To me, it doesn't sound like the clicking is coming from that side though. It is dificult to hear, but to me it seems the clicking is coming from either the side with the motor or from the extruder. But very dificult to know for sure.
Can the bearings of the smooth rods behind the extruder also be suspect to the clicking?

Posted : 28/08/2020 11:30 am
vamdolly
(@vamdolly)

Hi iv been having an issue with my ender were it makes a sound liek u describ as this is the only forum i could find with a similer sound, can anyone confirm if this is sound https://imgur.com/a/1tZiR2A as iv check vevrything i can think of and it started 4 days ago, its also not z hop or hiting the other side of the part.

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by vamdolly
Posted : 25/01/2021 5:34 am
vamdolly
(@vamdolly)

@joantabb Hi dont mean do dubble post, but are you able to tell me if the sound in that video i postes last month is the sound the idler bearing sounds like, as iv just done a cold pull and a full tear downand resembly of the hot end and i still cant figure out the sound.

Posted : 28/02/2021 5:57 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

I wasn't able to hear the noise you refer to... 

I have no experience of an ender 

regards Joan

Posted : 01/03/2021 1:12 am
vamdolly
(@vamdolly)

@joantabb im refering to the nose its making when it goes from the left side to the right it sounds like its hiting the part but its not and it is a new sound that started in jan

Posted : 01/03/2021 7:33 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

as I said, I looked at your video, and I couldn't get any audio, so I couldn't hear any noise. 

On the ender, the extruder and extruder motor are on the left end of the X axis, the Idler is on the right hand end, and the X carriage, moves side to side, 

where is the noise located, that should help you localise the issue

regards Joan

Posted : 01/03/2021 11:45 am
Clarmrrsn
(@clarmrrsn)
Honorable Member

@vamdolly

There is a very good Ender support forum on  Reddit.

You will get an answer very quickly.

There is a wealth of knowledge on here, but mostly specific to Prusa.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Clarmrrsn

Tank you very much!

Posted : 01/03/2021 12:05 pm
Share: