Notifications
Clear all

Cannot get past the initial XYZ calibration  

RSS
bryansp_ms
(@bryansp_ms)
Cannot get past the initial XYZ calibration

I got my printer together more than a week ago and I cannot get past initial test. The Self Test works fine, but when it tries to do the XYZ Calibration, it fails.
I have followed the guide regarding the error message, but it was not helpful.
The error I get is: Calibration failed! Check the axes and run again. 

I worked with Prusa support, but they have not been able to find the issue other than saying the build is bad.  They did help zero in on what the problem is.  If I perform an "Auto Home", it starts up and senses the bed and places the PINDA over the circle.  That is exactly what it is supposed to do.  During the "XYZ Calibration" test, the head does not align itself over the circle.

These are the steps I perform that lead to the issue:

1. Power On
  2. Choose to be guided through the setup process
    1. Answer: Yes
  3. Get Message: First, I will run the selftest to check most common assembly problems.
  4. Fan Tests: Good
  5. Checking X-axis: Good
  6. Checking Y-axis: Good
  7. Checking Z axis: Good
  8. Calibrating home: Good
  9. Checking bed (heat): Good
  10. Checking Hotend (heat): Good
  11. Got message: All Correct
  12. Prompt:   I will run xyz calibration now. It will take approx. 12 mins.
  13. Run XYZ calibration
    1. Get message: Please clean the nozzle for calibration.
    2. Prompted: Is steel sheet on heatbed?
      1. Answer: No
    3. Prompted: Place a sheet of paper under the nozzle during the calibration of first 4 points. If the nozzle catches the paper, power off the printer immediately.  I click to start.
      1. Get message: Calibration failed! Check the axes and run again.
      2. NOTE: The X carriage moves up, and then down. It does not actually make contact with the board but after about a second of going down, it stops abruptly with the message.  At this point, the PINDA is outside and to the left of the circle.

This is some video I took of the issue occurring from different perspectives:

Front -

Top -

Back - 

I am rather frustrated at the moment because I have this great new printer and can't do anything with it.  I keep asking support what we can do, but their answer is always that the build is bad.  They can't tell me what about the build is bad though.  I have taken this thing apart and put it back together several times.  I have watched every video and done everything Prusa has told me to do.  This forum is my last hope.  Otherwise I have almost an $800 paper weight and absolutely no recourse.

Best Answer by Bunny Science:

Sorry was called away in the midst of things..

#3, Printer confused by corrupt calibration data in EEPROM. Sometimes bad cruff can left by prior. This can make things act in really unpredictable ways. Do a factory reset of all data. IIRC that's power off, power on and immediately press & hold knob when logo appears.

Repeat system setup wizard 

Posted : 27/05/2019 1:38 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member
RE: Cannot get past the initial XYZ calibration

Why are you doing an autohome before the XYZ cal?

Posted : 30/05/2019 3:01 pm
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member

I'd be suspicious of three things.

1. Do you have the correct firmware for the printer? Using MK3 on a MK3S or vice versa will cause this kind of failure. Look in the support menu and check the the firmware matches your printer model

2. PINDA should be about 0.8 mm above nozzle tip. If it is out of a fairly narrow range relative to the nozzle, calibration will also fail

Posted : 30/05/2019 3:12 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: guy.k2

I'd be suspicious of three things.

1. Do you have the correct firmware for the printer? Using MK3 on a MK3S or vice versa will cause this kind of failure. Look in the support menu and check the the firmware matches your printer model

2. PINDA should be about 0.8 mm above nozzle tip. If it is out of a fairly narrow range relative to the nozzle, calibration will also fail

The suspense is killing me. Is this some sort of reverse Spanish Inquisition?

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 30/05/2019 3:26 pm
bryansp_ms
(@bryansp_ms)
Topic starter answered:

I was just illustrating that the PINDA sensor was detecting the bed. 

Posted : 30/05/2019 3:35 pm
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member

Sorry was called away in the midst of things..

#3, Printer confused by corrupt calibration data in EEPROM. Sometimes bad cruff can left by prior. This can make things act in really unpredictable ways. Do a factory reset of all data. IIRC that's power off, power on and immediately press & hold knob when logo appears.

Repeat system setup wizard 

Posted : 30/05/2019 4:36 pm
bryansp_ms
(@bryansp_ms)
Topic starter answered:

I appreciate the input. I did upgrade to the latest firmware. The PINDA sensor is at the correct height (I used the zip tie to set the gap). I also performed a factory reset as you described. The issue continues... 🙁

Posted : 30/05/2019 4:41 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

Have you tried a power off, then run XYZ immediately rather than any interim process like autohome?  To be honest, I have never seen autohome to be useful, and in some cases it has messed up settings.

Also - if the nozzle isn't in the right place when you measure with a zip tie, you are running in circles.  The nozzle needs to be in contact with the bed (via the paper washer). 

Oh, and one last suggestion: turn OFF the filament sensor.

This post was modified 5 years ago 2 times by --
Posted : 30/05/2019 4:46 pm
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member

MK3 vs MK3S firmware correct for model? Not that interested in version, but model match.

Posted : 30/05/2019 5:32 pm
bryansp_ms
(@bryansp_ms)
Topic starter answered:

Yes, I did make sure of that.  

Posted : 30/05/2019 7:37 pm
bryansp_ms
(@bryansp_ms)
Topic starter answered:
Yes, I did try XYZ calibration right after power up before anything else. I still got the same result. What is a "paper washer" I do not recall that being in the kit. 
Posted : 30/05/2019 7:43 pm
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member

OK, let's move on to more obscure items.

The first thing that happens with XYZ calibration is you should see the x-carriage go all the way up and hit the top stop and keep tryin to go up for a while to level the carriage. I don't see that happening in your 1st video.

Turn machine OFF. Manually move the x-axis all the way up. Does the axis move up readily? If there is resistance, check that z rods and screw are straight and their holders correct. Bearings could also cause an issue, but would be move rare.

Turn on machine with x-carriage near top and retry XYZ calibration. Sometimes, starting with the carriage near top does the trick.

Posted : 30/05/2019 8:03 pm
bryansp_ms
(@bryansp_ms)
Topic starter answered:

I have cleared the EPROM before while I was on a chat with support, but it did not make a difference.  I did it again just so I could say I could because guy-k2 listed it as his 3rd thing to try.   ...and well....  it started the calibration.  I am not sure if it will finish, but it's running.  I will report back.  I am very excited!!  🙂

Posted : 30/05/2019 10:02 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

The "Paper Washer" is the sheet of paper that helps avoid damage to the heat bed.  I should have been more clear.  Hope the calibration finishes! 🍒 

Posted : 30/05/2019 11:13 pm
bryansp_ms
(@bryansp_ms)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks to everyone!  I am printing out a Benchy now.  Clearing the EPROM with a factory reset did seem to resolve the issue.  However, since I tried that same thing before without success, I have to think I may have done something else along the way to fix the issue and it just needed a factory reset after that.  At any rate, I no longer have an $800 paper weight.  I have a great printer that seems to be working great!

Posted : 30/05/2019 11:21 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

I've had to do resets after the printer has "glitched" mid print for no apparent reason ... so keep it in your tool box.

Posted : 31/05/2019 2:42 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

I will usually do a factory reset after each firmware upgrade, although lately I've gotten lazy with it. If things start looking odd after an update, I'll usually start there.

He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 31/05/2019 2:45 am
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member

So, the Reverse Spanish Inquisition was effective.

Posted : 31/05/2019 4:43 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: guy.k2

So, the Reverse Spanish Inquisition was effective.

Nobody expects the Reverse Spanish Inquisition to be effective! 

Posted : 31/05/2019 12:59 pm
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member

Nobody expects the Reverse Spanish Inquisition to be effective! 

HaHaHa! 😆 

Posted : 31/05/2019 2:58 pm
Share: