Bondtech Extruder with Mosquito or Stock E3D V6 hotend? Is it even worth it?

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
luvology
(@luvology)

I have been reading a lot about Bondtech extruders on facebook. I have not found one negative review about it.
So my MK3S is on pre-order and should arrive in 2 weeks. I was wondering if i should get the Bondtech extruder before hand the printer arrives, so that i can assemble that with the printer when i am first setting it up. I'd hate to strip down all the cables and nuts and bolts after setting it up perfectly.

I wont be printing a lot of "other" filament types, but mainly PLA, and sometimes PETG. I can spend the extra bucks if bondtech can reduce noise, ghosting, scaling etc to some extent, or even if its future proof with filaments I would like to try in the future.

I see there are different upgrade options for mk3s... one says with mosquito hot end, other with stock prusa hotend. Does it mean if I choose not to buy the mosquito hotend right now, and plan on getting the bondtech with prusa e3d v6 hotend, i wont be able to add a mosquito hotend later on this extruder?
Also what other parts do i need to upgrade to this extruder?

Second question is are the LDO Slim Power pancake motors worth it?

OR i should just wait out for Hemera? 

Posted : 11/05/2020 6:55 pm
tmicke
(@tmicke)
Trusted Member
RE: Bondtech Extruder with Mosquito or Stock E3D V6 hotend? Is it even worth it?

I've had my Bondtech extruder for a week now with the stock E3D V6 and so far I really can't say if it improved anything. Theoretically it's a God sent but honestly I'm a bit disappointed.

On the other hand I haven't noticed anything getting worse or bad in any way. I have only printed PLA and PETG with it.

A heads up if you decide to buy one, make sure the heatsink gets tight enough, mine did not. I could easily twist it with two fingers. I e-mailed Bondtech and they advised me to put som electrical tape on the heatsink to prevent that. Even though it was tight enough not to wobble, to me it feels good if it sits firmly when changing nozzles.

Another tip regarding sound, even though the MK3 is crazy silent compared to the other printers I've had, try printing some anti-vibration feets to it like these: 1727-anti-vibration-feet-for-prusa-i3-mk3s. I could not believe the difference they made!

Happy printing 🙂

Posted : 12/05/2020 5:40 am
Share: