Clear all

What is in your toolkit?  

RSS
Jiheffe
(@jiheffe)
Eminent Member
What is in your toolkit?

Hi again,

After about two weeks with my new I3 MK3S, I understand I need to gear up a bit for routine mainenance and troubleshooting 🙂 So I was wondering... What do you guys have in your toolkit, besides the tools provided with the kit?
And what spare parts do you need? I see sets of 10 nozzles. Do you often need to replace a nozzle? I also see silicon protections for the heatblock... Is that useful?

I've seen a couple of "maintenance kits" on Amazon, like this one: https://amzn.to/3bSV218. Are these useful? They have three different flavours, V6, MK8, MK10... Looks like I would need the V6, is that correct?

Thnx for your advise!

Posted : 22/05/2020 3:38 pm
Xayoz
(@xayoz)
Eminent Member
RE: What is in your toolkit?

I keep spare nozzles.  If I need any parts beyond that, I am willing to wait.

As far as tools, I have a small adjustable wrench to hold the heat block when I change a nozzle and a palm ratchet for actually tightening/loosening the nozzle, with sockets for each printer.  V6 is Prusa, MK8 is Creality.

Posted : 22/05/2020 4:16 pm
Jiheffe liked
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

One thing that has been an absolute life saver has been a 150x1.5mm brass rod with smoothed ends. It is invaluable for pushing stuck filament either from the top or bottom of the extruder when I encounter jams. This has saved me many extruder teardowns.

More notes here.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 22/05/2020 5:03 pm
Jiheffe liked
Jimbo70
(@jimbo70)
Estimable Member

I have a toothbrush. This is used to wipe the nozzle and to get stray fibers off the print bed.

There are different quality of brushes, the more expensive have very durable bristles that do not melt with the heat.

I suggest your wife's toothbrush - it makes 3D printing more exciting!

Posted : 22/05/2020 5:05 pm
Jiheffe and StanHD liked
Jiheffe
(@jiheffe)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @xayoz

I keep spare nozzles.

Just wondering... Why do you need replace nozzles? Do they wear out? Or do they get obstructed beyond hope?

Posted : 22/05/2020 6:32 pm
Jiheffe
(@jiheffe)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @louis-j

I suggest your wife's toothbrush - it makes 3D printing more exciting!

You like living dangerously 😝 

Posted : 22/05/2020 6:34 pm
Jiheffe
(@jiheffe)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@bobstro

Hi,

Thnx for the link to your notes 🙂

Anecdote: while cleaning up her mother house, my wife came across some tools that belonged to her grandfather who was a... dentist... Some small rods that are perfect to remove the dirt around the heater block!

Posted : 22/05/2020 6:44 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @jf

[...] Anecdote: while cleaning up her mother house, my wife came across some tools that belonged to her grandfather who was a... dentist... Some small rods that are perfect to remove the dirt around the heater block!

Ah, great find! Dental picks are great for removing hard-to-reach supports as well. 

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 22/05/2020 9:09 pm
Mike and Jiheffe liked
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

Here is another good tool kit: AMX3d tool kit

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 23/05/2020 8:03 pm
Jiheffe liked
Titan
(@titan-2)
Estimable Member

Just my 2 cents worth: I find e3d silicone heat socks work really well with the mk3s and are a great addition for improving print runs. I keep a couple spare brass nozzles (I haven't needed a harder metal nozzle yet), a pair of tweezers for picking any unwanted blobs of filament off the print bed and nozzle, paper towels and a bottle of isopropyl alcohol for more stubborn cleaning jobs.

I use cleaning filament when changing filament material (or just when it feels needed). A pair of small tin snips for preparing filament for feeding into the extruder and I keep a stick of elmers purple glue stick around, just in case I need better adhesion or to protect the surface of the print bed when using very sticky filaments. Also a tube of super lube grease for bearings etc. when necessary (not often).

For everyday basic use that pretty much covers everything I need.

Posted : 24/05/2020 8:31 am
Jiheffe liked
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Posted by: @nathan-b20

Just my 2 cents worth: I find e3d silicone heat socks work really well with the mk3s and are a great addition for improving print runs. I keep a couple spare brass nozzles (I haven't needed a harder metal nozzle yet), a pair of tweezers for picking any unwanted blobs of filament off the print bed and nozzle, paper towels and a bottle of isopropyl alcohol for more stubborn cleaning jobs.

I use cleaning filament when changing filament material (or just when it feels needed). A pair of small tin snips for preparing filament for feeding into the extruder and I keep a stick of elmers purple glue stick around, just in case I need better adhesion or to protect the surface of the print bed when using very sticky filaments. Also a tube of super lube grease for bearings etc. when necessary (not often).

For everyday basic use that pretty much covers everything I need.

The bronze nozzles will have to be replaced more often with abrasives.  I have found that the Vanadium and Tungsten nozzles last over a year with abrasives.  

1. Tungsten Nozzle
  2. Vanadium Nozzle

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 24/05/2020 3:58 pm
Jiheffe liked
Jiheffe
(@jiheffe)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered: