What are the pros and cons of installing the LCD panel and PSU on the printer rather than outside an enclosure?

Notifications
Clear all

What are the pros and cons of installing the LCD panel and PSU on the printer rather than outside an enclosure?  

RSS
prusanewuser
(@prusanewuser)
Prominent Member

Based in experience, if user wants to build an enclosure for whatever reason (e.g. filter out fume). Is it better mount the LCD control panel outside the enclosure or just mount it on the printer at default location?

For the power supply, it is always better to mount it outside an enclosure to avoid overheating within an enclosure?

Posted : 20/07/2019 10:53 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member
RE: What are the pros and cons of installing the LCD panel and PSU on the printer rather than outside an enclosure?

Heat, heat, heat, and probably heat.

The Einsy is already close to wigging out at 25c ambient and care must be taken to keep the motor drivers cool as it is.  Power supply is rated to 40c ambient, but heat is the destroyer of electronics - are you thermostatically controlling the enclosure so that the insides never exceed 40c?  LCD's are rated to odd temperatures, impossible to know who's spec Prusa LCD is built to, but the glass vitreous seals are weak to thermal cycling. The electronics driving the LCD are probably okay inside; but the SD card slow makes it inconvenient, at best.

ps: Now that I've said this, 50 people will post I am full of it and list all sorts of personal experience that everything works fine at 60c...

This post was modified 5 years ago by --
Posted : 21/07/2019 12:21 am
prusanewuser
(@prusanewuser)
Prominent Member
Topic starter answered:
RE: What are the pros and cons of installing the LCD panel and PSU on the printer rather than outside an enclosure?

How often do people need to turn the dial next to the LCD screen when the machine is printing? How about before and after printing?

Posted : 21/07/2019 11:59 pm
PrussianTomasUSA
(@prussiantomasusa)
Eminent Member

I’m thinking of designing or, searching for a design for an Einsy box that will gently pull outside air across the board and into the enclosure. PS and LCD outside. The only other concern is the damn extruder stepper get insanely hot.

— MK3s

Posted : 15/10/2019 2:36 pm
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member

Well I have a lack. Control panel in default location. PSU on printer.

OctoPi mounted to printer frame.

I do leave one door open when printing PETG. Heat has never been an issue with one or more doors open.

Note that I am not one of the people saying heat is never an issue. You want printer temperature as close to ambient as you can.

Posted : 15/10/2019 6:02 pm
KevinK
(@kevink)
Trusted Member

If you have reason to open the doors while printing (e.g., PLA, maybe one for PETG) then placement probably makes no difference.  I print a lot of PC and want to keep the ambient temperature while printing high to limit warping.  I also want to be able to tweak print speed and other tuning items.  So I want access to the panel without having to open the doors and dump the heat (and somewhat shock-cool the PC).  So I mount mine outside.  You'll get differing views about which electronics will have serious adverse reactions to the hotter ambient but in my case it isn't about the electronics as much as about the material being printed.

Posted : 16/10/2019 2:12 am
Share: