Clear all

[Solved] Sudden issue with bed leveling / calibration  

RSS
Dave
 Dave
(@dave-34)
Sudden issue with bed leveling / calibration

Hi.

I've been having no problems and everything has been well as I've clocked up many hours of successful printing since building my kit about 6 months ago.

Then this morning, I suddenly had an issue with my print failing apparently due to a crash. Cleaned everything up and tried again but Octoprint kept reporting "Excessive Bed Leveling correction: 2700 microns".

My friend Google told me to run the calibration again (not the first layer calibration but the full calibration) which I did properly with the sheet off and paper on - when it comes to the Z axis, it works for points 1 and 2 of 4 (i.e. the front left and front right) but when it goes to point 3 (back right) it fails and reports bed calibration point not found.

I've checked the PINDA sensor is working and I rotated both sides manually hard against the top so that the z axis was definitely being calibrated level but still no good.

The only references to this I can find relate to new build teething problems rather than a sudden fault with an established working machine. Because of that, I wanted to check here before I start taking it all apart. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

Posted : 24/02/2021 8:55 am
Diem
 Diem
(@diem)
Illustrious Member
RE: Sudden issue with bed leveling / calibration

Make sure there is nothing, not even a whisker of stringing, under the steel-sheet or stuck to the back.

Hth, Cheerio,

Posted : 24/02/2021 10:02 am
Clarmrrsn
(@clarmrrsn)
Honorable Member

Just a stab in the dark here but if nothing under the bed make sure none of your frame bolts or y axis rod holders are loose.

Could be movement somewhere.

Tank you very much!

Posted : 24/02/2021 11:15 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

Also, make sure one of your screws on your bed is not elevated.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 24/02/2021 11:28 am
Dave
 Dave
(@dave-34)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks for all the good advice everyone. Much appreciated.

In this case it was indeed debris but not where implied by the error message. It was actually wrapped around the y-belt motor cog which was creating some weird gearing effect so that plate was moved too far. This meant that, when point 3 was being calibrated, it was trying to do it partly over thin air.

My advice to anyone that finds their way to this forum thread because of a similar error is therefore to also run Belt Test in the Calibration menu. Not because it is the most likely but because it is a quick and easy elimination.

Cheers.

Dave

This post was modified 3 years ago by Dave
Posted : 24/02/2021 3:55 pm
Share: