Notifications
Clear all

Renewing PEI Sheet with a heat gun ?  

RSS
Melchia
(@melchia)
Renewing PEI Sheet with a heat gun ?

i wanted some opinions on whether using a heat gun on my PEI steel sheet would renew the surface ,in theory it might work but i would like to hear from community on thoughts or anyone who has tried it

Posted : 22/05/2020 8:31 am
Area51
(@area51)
RE: Renewing PEI Sheet with a heat gun ?

You are not specifying if it is the textured or the smooth PEI build plate.

On the smooth PEI sheet a heat gun will properly be to hot and burn the PEI and glue under the PEI. Here a better solution would be to clean the surface with a very fine water sand-paper or a quick wipe with acetone to regain adhesion. Alternatively the surface can be replaced with a new sheet from Prusa store.

On the textured sheet the risk is that the PEI will slip the steel plate. Looking back on the problems that Prusa had making the textured sheets in the first place, I think the chance of failure is very high.

Have a look at my models on Printables.com 😉

Posted : 22/05/2020 11:33 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Posted by: @kieran-j

i wanted some opinions on whether using a heat gun on my PEI steel sheet would renew the surface ,in theory it might work but i would like to hear from community on thoughts or anyone who has tried it

What is the theory behind this idea?  It seems like this would smooth it out.

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 22/05/2020 12:58 pm
Melchia
(@melchia)
Topic starter answered:

Well I thought if I used my heat gun at a temp just below melting point of PEI on my smooth sheet it would melt just enough to fill in all the scratches and kinda reform the layer of pei and make it like new but that is how it went in my head

Posted : 23/05/2020 1:20 am
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member

This is not a major financial risk.

Best answer is try it and see what happens. Worst case you buy a new PEI sheet.

Let us know how it goes.

Posted : 23/05/2020 2:56 pm
Share: