Printed parts and instructions for MK3 to MK3S+ upgrade  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
H85
 H85
(@h85)
Printed parts and instructions for MK3 to MK3S+ upgrade

Hi.

I want to start printing the needed parts for the upgrade. But I can't find the files. Where can I find them?

Also is there any instructions out yet for the upgrade from MK3 to MK3S+?

Posted : 26/11/2020 3:53 pm
Jimbo70 liked
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
RE: Printed parts and instructions for MK3 to MK3S+ upgrade

I don't think they have been released yet.  The kits are not shipping until January if I remember correctly.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 26/11/2020 5:37 pm
Matt
 Matt
(@matt-2)
Trusted Member

In the blog they stated:

Q: When will the printable files (STL / 3MF) for new parts become available online?
A: We will add them in the upcoming days.

So, with black Prusament PETG ready on standby, I'm stalking the Prusa parts download page at https://www.prusa3d.com/prusa-i3-printable-parts/ , and also the github pages at https://github.com/prusa3d/Original-Prusa-i3/tree/MK3S/Printed-Parts/STL . I presume they will either release new revisions of the the existing STL files there or create a new MK3S+ branch.

I'm wondering though, why is the fan shroud now printed in ASA? If you buy the kit you get an ASA fan shroud pre-made, but the rest of the parts are just a load of PETG filament to print them with. What's so special about the fan shroud that it needs to be made of a different material?

Posted : 29/11/2020 7:54 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @h85

Hi.

I want to start printing the needed parts for the upgrade. But I can't find the files. Where can I find them?

Also is there any instructions out yet for the upgrade from MK3 to MK3S+?

In principle you can use this manual "update from MK3 to MK3S+.What distinguishes MK3S from MK3S+ is the new PINDA and other attachments for the Y-linear bearings and rods.

https://help.prusa3d.com/en/guide/1-introduction_54032

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 29/11/2020 8:21 pm
Matt
 Matt
(@matt-2)
Trusted Member
Posted by: @karl-herbert

In principle you can use this manual "update from MK3 to MK3S+.What distinguishes MK3S from MK3S+ is the new PINDA and other attachments for the Y-linear bearings and rods.

https://help.prusa3d.com/en/guide/1-introduction_54032

That's interesting. Those MK3 to MK3S upgrade instructions say the fan shroud must always be printed in ABS/ASA. That would explain why the shroud in the MK3S+ kit is ASA. But has this always been the recommendation? The Prusa printed parts download page says all parts should be printed in PETG and makes no exception for the fan shroud.

Posted : 29/11/2020 8:32 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@matt-14

Of course you can also use PETG. The fanshroud sometimes melts due to possible heat accumulation. Many users have already reported this. So I would rather use ASA or even better, PC or Nylon because they are more heat resistant.
If you do not have PC or nylon, use ASA or ABS.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 29/11/2020 8:47 pm
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member

My fan shroud started to droop after a fairly long run of ABS prints.

I printed a remixed version using the PC Blend and I have not had issues since.

Posted : 29/11/2020 9:17 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

I'm wondering though, why is the fan shroud now printed in ASA? If you buy the kit you get an ASA fan shroud pre-made, but the rest of the parts are just a load of PETG filament to print them with. What's so special about the fan shroud that it needs to be made of a different material?

The shroud is in ASA because if you print ABS with a PETG shroud, it melts / deforms.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 29/11/2020 10:05 pm
Matt
 Matt
(@matt-2)
Trusted Member

Good to know for the future then, thanks. Hopefully the shroud in the MK3S+ kit is just the standard Mk3S shroud to upgrade Mk3 non-S users so I can re-use my old one, and if my Mk3S's shroud ever starts sagging I'll buy a polycarbonate one from eBay or some such (I don't have much use for polycarbonate in other applications so it would be a waste of a reel).

Posted : 29/11/2020 10:19 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

I printed my fanshroud with CarbonPEEK. Maybe a little too well-intentioned, but it is practically almost indestructible.

Posted : 29/11/2020 10:26 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@matt-14

Buy a 50g sample. this should be sufficient for the fanshroud: https://www.3dxtech.com/samples/sample-3dxmax-pc-black-3d-printing-filament/

Posted : 29/11/2020 10:49 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@jsw

PC Blend is a grea chocie too.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 30/11/2020 12:52 am
H85
 H85
(@h85)
Topic starter answered:

Still nothing new regarding the printed parts?

Expecting my package and I want to be ready when it is here.

Don't want to waste tiome printing when the package is here 🙂

Posted : 07/12/2020 6:55 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

try 

https://github.com/prusa3d/Original-Prusa-i3/releases/tag/R6

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 07/12/2020 8:01 pm
H85 and karl-herbert liked
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@joantabb

Joan: Thank you!

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 07/12/2020 8:40 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@joantabb

Thanks Joan - News buried deep in the internet 👍 

Posted : 07/12/2020 11:50 pm
Yveske
(@yveske)
Estimable Member

@joantabb

Thanks a million !!!

Having problems with bed adhesion every morning...

Posted : 08/12/2020 6:27 am
Christopher72
(@christopher72)
Eminent Member

I'm curious, since I have an i3 Mk3s, besides replacing the PINDA to a SuperPINDA to improve self-leveling slightly, which is only $26, what would be the additional consumer  value to an existing i3 Mk3S that prints very well in purchasing an upgrade kit?   (Besides supporting an excellent company..)

I have to admit, I was hoping for something more significant in change, like moving from 8bit to 64bit, fancier screen like the mini, etc.  Is anything that grand waiting for a Mk4?

Christopher

Posted : 08/12/2020 7:59 pm
Baklin
(@baklin)
Reputable Member

In the video they said that if you have a good working MK3s there is really no need to upgrade.

This is what you get with the upgrade kit:

• SuperPINDA
  • Bearing Clips for Y-axis bearings
  • IR filament sensor + cable
  • Hotend PTFE Tube
  • Fan shroud printed of ASA
  • PETG Filament to print the plastic parts
Posted : 08/12/2020 8:20 pm
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member
Posted by: @baklin

In the video they said that if you have a good working MK3s there is really no need to upgrade.

This is what you get with the upgrade kit:

• SuperPINDA
  • Bearing Clips for Y-axis bearings
  • IR filament sensor + cable
  • Hotend PTFE Tube
  • Fan shroud printed of ASA
  • PETG Filament to print the plastic parts

I do have a good working MK3S.

The only thing I really find of interest, and I don't know what, specifically, the advantages are, is the New Improved Super Pinda (tm).

Does anyone know what exactly the improvements are?

Posted : 08/12/2020 8:25 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: