Power supply quick disconnect for Lack Enclosure? Has anyone done this

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Power supply quick disconnect for Lack Enclosure? Has anyone done this  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS
MikiCab
(@mikicab)
Reputable Member
Power supply quick disconnect for Lack Enclosure? Has anyone done this

Has anyone put quick disconnect on the power supply for the under the Lack Table modification.  I take have had to take the printer out several times for repair and having to remove the cables each time is a pain.  Anyone have a solution?

Thanks

Best Answer by cwbullet:

I have with XT60 connectors.  

Posted : 06/10/2019 12:17 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
RE: Power supply quick disconnect for Lack Enclosure? Has anyone done this

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 06/10/2019 12:29 am
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member
Posted by: @charles-h13

What do you think about these:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07PB399PL?tag=amz-mkt-opr-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-org00-win10-other-smile-us000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&ref=aa_scomp_srdg2

I have a Lack enclosure - and I need to plan for disconnects...

Posted : 06/10/2019 1:47 am
MikiCab
(@mikicab)
Reputable Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @robert-rmm200
Posted by: @charles-h13

What do you think about these:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07PB399PL?tag=amz-mkt-opr-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-org00-win10-other-smile-us000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&ref=aa_scomp_srdg2

I have a Lack enclosure - and I need to plan for disconnects...

I am looking at those exact ones right now.  I am just doing my research.  Apparently there are some counterfeits out there than can catch fire. 

Posted : 06/10/2019 2:09 am
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member

The XT60H refers to the 60 amp rating - and the upgraded design. That seems perfect for the Prusa, with margin to spare.

There are a lot of choices - I hope someone does the research and recommends the best one.

Posted : 06/10/2019 2:40 am
MikiCab
(@mikicab)
Reputable Member
Topic starter answered:

The XT60H refers to the 60 amp rating - and the upgraded design. That seems perfect for the Prusa, with margin to spare.

There are a lot of choices - I hope someone does the research and recommends the best one.

From what I have read "Amass" makes the best ones but there are counterfeits that can catch fire.  I just bought the ones in the link and will check them out when I get them.

Posted : 06/10/2019 2:49 am
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member
Posted by: @mikicab

From what I have read "Amass" makes the best ones but there are counterfeits that can catch fire.  I just bought the ones in the link and will check them out when I get them.

Impatient me - I bought the ten pack too. We can compare notes next week - but I sure like the reviews. Amass - if genuine - looks good.

Posted : 06/10/2019 6:03 am
Milos V.
(@milos-v)
Prominent Member

Be realistic. You have a power supply mounted on the enclosure desk, which is almost a paper and you are worried  about 60amps connectors that might catch fire? 😉

I think the soldering will be the important part here. 

For the cases that things goes really wrong is there a smoke detector. Sure, the recommendation is not to leave the printer unattended.

Milos

Posted : 06/10/2019 8:30 am
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member

Also, check how easily the connectors detach once connected. I did one setup with XT60's and ended up never taking the connection back apart. They were darn near impossible to detach once the male and female plugged into each other. Hopefully your Amass ones will be different in that regard.

Posted : 06/10/2019 9:30 am
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

I'm working with external 24VDC Meanwell PSU since over a year and use this connections (230VAC and 24VDC)  without any problems:

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 06/10/2019 9:45 am
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member

@  karl-herbert-g What connector is that on the 24 VDC?

Posted : 06/10/2019 9:49 am
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

www.schurter.ch:

Einbau-Gerätestecker 24V_16A

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 06/10/2019 10:13 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

I would like to see what others have done.  Mine is ok, but not great.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 06/10/2019 11:44 am
Milos V.
(@milos-v)
Prominent Member

I was thinking of the connectors while making the enclosure, but finally I replaced the original wires with a bit longer ones, that gave me some manipulation space. So if I need to remove the printer from enclosure, I remove it also with PS without disconnecting. Just necessary to unscrew the plastic part on the table, because the wires goes under. 

In most cases I just remove the upper part of enclose and leave the printer where it is. Again, longer wires (cable) allows me to move or rotate the printer a bit so I can make most of the maintanance where it stands.

Milos

Posted : 06/10/2019 3:59 pm
MikiCab
(@mikicab)
Reputable Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @milo-v

I was thinking of the connectors while making the enclosure, but finally I replaced the original wires with a bit longer ones, that gave me some manipulation space. So if I need to remove the printer from enclosure, I remove it also with PS without disconnecting. Just necessary to unscrew the plastic part on the table, because the wires goes under. 

In most cases I just remove the upper part of enclose and leave the printer where it is. Again, longer wires (cable) allows me to move or rotate the printer a bit so I can make most of the maintanance where it stands.

Milos

Look at Yeggi or Thingaverse.  People have mounted these so that the female is mounted and the male can also have a larger case so it is easier to pull out.  I am going to screw the female (Power supply) part to the table and make a larger case for the male to make it easier to pull out.

Posted : 06/10/2019 4:22 pm
MikiCab
(@mikicab)
Reputable Member
Topic starter answered:

Be realistic. You have a power supply mounted on the enclosure desk, which is almost a paper and you are worried  about 60amps connectors that might catch fire? 😉

I think the soldering will be the important part here. 

For the cases that things goes really wrong is there a smoke detector. Sure, the recommendation is not to leave the printer unattended.

Milos

That is why I am worried about these connectors.  Google Counterfeit XT60's. They catch on fire because they do not make a good connection and get hot. The plastic used in them are not thermal plastic and melts at low temperatures and catch fire.  As you said it is sitting on cardboard table so I am very concerned about these connectors. 

Posted : 06/10/2019 4:26 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Posted by: @mikicab

Milos

Look at Yeggi or Thingaverse.  People have mounted these so that the female is mounted and the male can also have a larger case so it is easier to pull out.  I am going to screw the female (Power supply) part to the table and make a larger case for the male to make it easier to pull out.

Great stuff.  I am going to use:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:985984

or

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:963344

and 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2988989

or

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3111628

I have thought about mounting them to the glass.  

I have been using the XT30 for my panic wires and XT60 for the power.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 06/10/2019 6:11 pm
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member

I too ended up using longer wires without disconnects. Wire is larger 14 gauge, silicone, multi-strand.

Because I frequently work on my printers, I made the wires long enough to allow printer be rotated over 180 degrees or even upside down. Power supply isn't screwed to Lack brackets, but instead held with Velcro strap. If I want to remove printer, the supply quickly detaches from Lack and comes with printer.

Larger gauge wires did require some modified pieces with larger cable channels.

Attachment removed
This post was modified 4 years ago by Bunny Science
Posted : 06/10/2019 6:23 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

I also looked at Anderson powerpole connectors.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 06/10/2019 6:29 pm
Milos V.
(@milos-v)
Prominent Member

Exactly, I also used wires with larger crosssection to keep the resistance low and not to loose more voltage. I have 2.5mm2 crosssection, that is I think US AWG14. Thanks for sharing the modified plastic parts, I kept the old ones, but it is too tight.

Milos

Posted : 06/10/2019 7:31 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: