Notifications
Clear all

MK3S+ for starting in 2020 the right device, or choose the MINI+  

RSS
iLion
(@ilion)
MK3S+ for starting in 2020 the right device, or choose the MINI+

Hello,

i am a complete newbie with 3D printers and before Wednesday, I was sure to buy a MINI as my first machine. But with the release of the MINI+, the higher price and the Black Friday offer for MK3S+, I am not sure if I should keep my decision. So the question here in this part of the forum: Is the MK3S+ the right printer for starting in 2020? The main thoughts I have is really the 32-Bit versus 8-Bit electronic. I had seen yesterday the Live Youtube Talk and heard about features like QR-Codes for helping with problems in the upcoming MINI+ firmware. The UI is more modern, LAN, USB vs SD-Card (I own more USB-Sticks as SD-Cards) and so on.

On the other side I see the different extruders, the bigger building room, the (old but) proven design. So hope to comments, because with the Black Friday offer, the difference between both machines are round about 250 Euro (needed Filament in calculation).

Thanks

Posted : 26/11/2020 5:15 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
RE: MK3S+ for starting in 2020 the right device, or choose the MINI+
Posted by: @ilion

Hello,

i am a complete newbie with 3D printers and before Wednesday, I was sure to buy a MINI as my first machine. But with the release of the MINI+, the higher price and the Black Friday offer for MK3S+, I am not sure if I should keep my decision. So the question here in this part of the forum: Is the MK3S+ the right printer for starting in 2020? The main thoughts I have is really the 32-Bit versus 8-Bit electronic. I had seen yesterday the Live Youtube Talk and heard about features like QR-Codes for helping with problems in the upcoming MINI+ firmware. The UI is more modern, LAN, USB vs SD-Card (I own more USB-Sticks as SD-Cards) and so on.

On the other side I see the different extruders, the bigger building room, the (old but) proven design. So hope to comments, because with the Black Friday offer, the difference between both machines are round about 250 Euro (needed Filament in calculation).

Thanks

Pick the best printer with the largest volume that your budget will support.  If you can afford the Mk3S, buy it.  You will not be disappointed.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 26/11/2020 5:34 pm
indysam
(@indysam)

If you want a printer before next February at the earliest,  order the MK3s+

Posted : 27/11/2020 5:38 pm
Croc1
(@croc1)

I just received my new MK3S+ two days ago. I bought the factory-built version. I have to say that this is the way to go (IMHO)- factory built is great. I set it all up, did my first layer calibration, loaded a 32 hour print of Hogwarts and it printed perfectly. You can't go wrong with this printer. 

But the choice lies with you and your budget along with the type of printing you will be doing. The great thing is that Prusa will always be adding upgrades if you ever need them.

Chris

Posted : 28/11/2020 1:00 pm
lcdguy
(@lcdguy)
Eminent Member

If you can afford a MK3S/MK3S+ i would go for it, it's a very reliable printer and has a lot more features than the mini. The mini is a great starter printer when the mk3s is out of budget. Just don't get the mmu2s if your starting out, it's an exercise in frustration and would detract from the experience.

In regards to kit vs factory assembled, i went with kit as i like building these kinds of things and gives you deep appreciation for how it's constructed and how it works, but is bit of an undertaking, if that doesn't sound like something you would enjoy then i would opt for the assembled version.

This post was modified 3 years ago by lcdguy
Posted : 30/11/2020 3:45 pm
iLion
(@ilion)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks all for their feedback. Finally I bought the MINI+. It was a hard night, because I shortly planed to buy the MK3S+ and looked while waiting for starting the Black Friday a couple of YouTube Videos about the MK3S and the MINI. Half an hour before 12 A.M. at Black Friday, I decided to go to bed, not to buy the MK3S+ and buy later the MINI+. So, the reasons are two things. It was not the money, but the 8-Bit electronic and the not good to read display. Additional I saw comparison videos between the MINI and the MK3S and the quality was comparable. But the most reviewers comment the much better display and I saw also a localization, which is nice. The possibility to expect controlling over LAN is also something, while I would need to invest into a Raspberry Pi to use OctoPrint with the MK3S+

The second reason is the expectation of the new generation of the bigger Prusa Printers perhaps next year. So I am a beginner and Prusa talk about their plans. The feeling to buy the old design while a new generation is still in development was not mine.

The only thing, I miss now, is to build the printer with my son at Christmas. 😢 But eight weeks are not so much time. I will be back more in the MINI part of the forum, when the printer arrives.

The first parts I plan to print is a mounting for my Netatmo weather station, and I will try to build the first version of the IKEA enclosure.

Posted : 01/12/2020 9:14 pm
Area51
(@area51)

I am sure that you will be happy with the choice of the Mini+!

If it goes like many of us here in the forum, you will get a printer more later... 😀 

Have a look at my models on Printables.com 😉

Posted : 02/12/2020 2:36 am
Share: