Notifications
Clear all

MK3 to MK3S printing issues  

RSS
Luis
 Luis
(@luis-7)
MK3 to MK3S printing issues

Ok, first of all I had my Mk3 for about 1 year and I had zero printing issues, so I decided to upgrade to the MK3S with the kit. The upgrade went smoothly as expected. But now I am having extreme stringing and bridging issues. I change some of the setting in prusaslicer 2.0, but its not really changing the result much, in fact I cant tell. What gives? does anyone have some settings configurations I can try? I am frankly upset of the quality after the upgrades (hardware and software).

This topic was modified 5 years ago 2 times by Luis
Posted : 09/09/2019 2:48 am
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member
RE: MK3 to MK3S printing issues

Is the sacrificial print support of the fan shroud still attached? It's the orange portion in below pict.

Posted : 09/09/2019 8:46 am
Luis
 Luis
(@luis-7)
Topic starter answered:

No, the print support was already been removed at Prusa. It arrived to me without it already. 

Posted : 09/09/2019 3:49 pm
stephen.h14
(@stephen-h14)
Estimable Member

Are you using a silicone sock on the hot end? I added one after I saw how much the cooling fan was driving the extruder temp down.

I have more trouble with stringing when the humidity in the air goes up. I go from no stringing in the wintertime to just furry in the summer. I'm going to make a dry box to hold my filament during the print as soon as I get the parts. I keep my filament in sealed bags with desiccant when not in use but it's out in the open while I'm printing.  

Posted : 10/09/2019 10:35 pm
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member

Good point on filament moisture. That will also create stringing and bridging issues.

Drying filament is simple and cheap.

https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk3s-mk3-general-discussion-announcements-and-releases/drying-times-and-temps-in-dehydrator/

Posted : 11/09/2019 11:54 am
stephen.h14
(@stephen-h14)
Estimable Member

I saw that post! I definitely need to look into a way to dry the filament. The humidity has been crazy high here this summer. It looks like the dehydrator you have is only available used on Amazon at the moment, I'll need to find something similar but new.  

Posted : 11/09/2019 1:29 pm
danielkrah
(@danielkrah)
Eminent Member

Ah ok it is sacrificial print support.

I have the problem when i remove it the MK3s drops the temperature very fast after 10-15 layers or so.

When i let the support on the part the printer just works fine...

Posted : 11/09/2019 1:42 pm
Luis
 Luis
(@luis-7)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks for the suggestion, The roll that I was using was a couple of months old in the open, so I opened a brand new roll, and I am getting the same results.  I tried a few changes with nozzle temp, fan speed and retraction which did help a lot but not enough and I don't want my extruder motor working harder than it should. The prints were less stringer but the models were a bit more fragile, as if each layer adhesion was not as it should be.  So, out of frustration I reverted back to my MK3 setup last night, and guess what, No Strings!... perfect prints again!  

There is definitely something wrong  and way to much cooling going on with the MK3S upgrade. I know I shouldnt have given up so quickly but after wasting so much TIME on test prints and using alot of filament, I had to go back to verify.

This post was modified 5 years ago by Luis
Posted : 11/09/2019 2:04 pm
Share: