Notifications
Clear all

Layer shifting issue and printer automatically stops.  

RSS
Ben Smith
(@ben-smith)
Layer shifting issue and printer automatically stops.

Ok so two different issues I'm having. I'm still fairly new so bare with me.

The first issue appears to be layer shifting. The belt seems tight enough without being too tight, but maybe I'm wrong. And it moves easily across the entire length of the axis. Maybe I'm crazy but could it have something to do with turning on the lights in my office as i come and go? It may be a total coincidence, but the lines seem to line up from when I may have left the room. I've got another print going right now, and i'm trying to remember to not touch the switch, but did accidentally turn off the light to the room and there is one line on it so far. I taped the light switch off so I'll see if anymore lines happen but I'm open to any other ideas.

I read to turn off the filament sensor, so during one of those pauses I turned it off but it continued. Not sure if i have to start over for that setting change to take affect. I also swapped out from the jetblack prusament to the default gray one and resumed and still had the same issue.

Secondly the print went for over 10 hours, and then all of a sudden stops. No errors, everything is still on but the target temperature for the nozzle drops to zero. I click resume on octoprint and it warms back up and resumes for a split second and then stops again, returning back to zero degrees. Here is a video of it.

Video of it pausing

3mf file link

Here is a pic of the layer shifting

This topic was modified 4 years ago 2 times by Ben Smith
Posted : 14/03/2020 6:53 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
RE: Layer shifting issue and printer automatically stops.

This is the second time i have seen mention of artefacts occurring at the same time as power fluctuations. 

I guess it's possible, bit I would have thought it unlikely.. Are you on 110v mains or 240v mains,?
is the circuit heavily loaded,?
Do the lights flicker when you switch other things on and off? 
which power supply do you have?

do you have another mains circuit that you can try?
regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 14/03/2020 8:04 pm
DJ
 DJ
(@dj-6)
Trusted Member

@ninjabenben

By any chance is your light switch of the variable dimmer variety?  Those often generate RFI which might couple to the Prusa controller via the power outlet.

DJ

Posted : 16/03/2020 2:26 pm
Ben Smith
(@ben-smith)
Topic starter answered:

So after some more trial and error,  I don't think it's power related. I unscrewed the X axis motor and rescrewed it along with the pulley just to see if that helps. I then printed a different piece (these print files come from a site that I would assume have pretty good files since lots of other people buy and print them and have seem to have no issues) I even held my breath and turned on/off the light switch a couple of times and this print turned out great. There's only one layer shift towards the top and that was during middle of the night so it shouldn't have anything to do with power fluctuation. Now just gotta figure out the random layer shift. Soooo close to being perfect.

Posted : 07/04/2020 2:39 pm
frank.m14
(@frank-m14)

I've had my mk3 for 14 months and have done some complicated prints (i did the jet engine as one of them) and everything has been great until this week.  nothing had changed on the printer, it's still on a very sturdy bench and hasn't been moved.  i'm trying to print an enclosure for an arduino and now i'm getting y-axis drift, but it doesn't seem to be random.  the images are of a box i got from thingiverse and the other is one i designed myself in fusion360.  if you look closely at the images the shift started when a major "feature" changed.  on one it was when the cutout began and the other when the side stopped being full length. it looked to gradually shift for a few layers and then continued up in a straight line (no drift).

the entire print stayed in the same spot the whole time.

I've updated firmware, checked belt for debris and tension, re-ran the self test and calibration, checked for loose bearings, loose motor / belt gear, bed wobble.  the prusa slicer doesn't show any drift.  it's on a 20 amp circuit with nothing being switched on/off while printing.  i've watched multiple videos on how to fix drift.  everything seems fine.  i'm at a loss as to what else to try,

This post was modified 4 years ago by frank.m14
Posted : 07/04/2020 3:25 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Hi Frank, 
Does your heatbed move freely backwards and forwards?
could it be jamming a little?

is collision detection turned on?

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 07/04/2020 4:01 pm
frank.m14
(@frank-m14)

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.  I can move the heatbed freely and i don't notice it hanging anywhere.  I don't have collision detection turned on but will when i print next.  any other suggestions are appreciated.

Posted : 07/04/2020 4:30 pm
Share: