Notifications
Clear all

Glad I Bought a Prusa MK3S!  

RSS
SteveL
(@stevel)
Glad I Bought a Prusa MK3S!

Just got finished building my new MK3S kit all I can say is WOW! Coming from an Ender 3 Pro and tired of the constant tweaking and problem solving I decided to join the Prusa club and ordered a Mini. Being impatient and not wanting to wait till June to get one I decided to cancel the Mini order and get a MK3S kit. Which arrived 7 days later. That decision was made by lurking in the this forum and learning  from all the post here and the friendly helpful people and knowing if I ever got into trouble and needed help I could get it here. Also having the help from Prusa direct if needed is something not found in the other brands of mass produced 3D printers.  

Well it took me 11 hours to build it and was actually fun to do. I was dreading to extruder/hot end build as it seems everyone said it was the hardest part of the build but it actually went smooth. The biggest problem I encountered was getting the darn belt adjusted and cut properly on the back of the extruder block. It was around midnight at that point so my brain was about done anyway. But the build went great and I just finished all the calibrations and setup and everything went perfect. Just finished printing the PRUSA logo, cause Josef said to! and it's perfect.

I have to say, coming from an Ender 3 to this MK3S  is night and day difference between the two. The MK3S is amazing! You can really tell that it's a finely tuned machine and well worth the investment. The only regret I have is not making the move sooner as it would have saved me a few grey hairs dealing with the ender.

Thanks for all the insight and knowledge shared here and prayers to all affected with COVID-19.

Well off to print a benchy!

Steve 

Posted : 14/03/2020 5:08 pm
With_Maltodextrin
(@with_maltodextrin)
Trusted Member
RE: Glad I Bought a Prusa MK3S!

I agree with you, especially the part mentioning that you should've made the move earlier. I have several different chinese printers, and have sourced and built a DBot from scratch, but I'm now actually just _printing 3d prints_ since I got my MK3S. My printer was supposed to be a tool to print objects, but I spent the vast, vast majority of my time futzing around, and wasted a ton of money upgrading, re-upgrading, fixing what I broke, figuring out what options to turn on in Marlin, and so on. Never again.

To reiterate, I would've saved money if I had just gone Prusa in the first place.

I did gain many, many hours of troubleshooting 3d printers knowledge along the way. I've seen failures of every shape and size, so it wasn't a complete waste of time I suppose.

Welcome to the community!

This post was modified 4 years ago by With_Maltodextrin
Posted : 15/03/2020 12:32 am
SteveL and bobstro liked
cmonroe01
(@cmonroe01)

I also ordered a mini and cancelled it to get the MK3S.  It has been in service for about 10 days of solid printing with zero issues.  One thing that I've kind of been wondering is why haven't I seen any problems that people post about all the time or the troubleshooting things.  I know the quality of the MK3S is half of that answer, but I haven't had any filament issues either.  Granted, on that side of things I have well-known brands, mostly Atomic but also some Hatchbox, eSun, and the Prusa silver.  

Maybe I shouldn't have posted this, ha!  Let's hope my luck continues!  

Posted : 16/03/2020 12:26 pm
SteveL liked
SteveL
(@stevel)
Topic starter answered:

Mine has been printing almost non stop all weekend. I love the quality and it's so quiet compared to my old Ender 3.  Almost too quiet as I'm used to hearing it in the background and knowing when a print is finished.

The only issue I've has was a few crash errors on the X axis. After looking at my belt status the X is 247 and the Z is 272. I think I may loosen the X up just a bit and hopefully that will correct it. 

Other than that it's been working like a charm. So glad I made the purchase. Maybe I'll add a Mini later down the road when things settle down but my MK3S will always be top dog here. 

If we wind up getting stuck at home due to the COVID-19 virus I'm sure I will not be bored!

Posted : 16/03/2020 7:14 pm
Mark_T
(@mark_t)
Eminent Member

Same here, a fun build and over 6 days of print time accumulated in the last 10 days, with nothing but fantastic results.

Been using both textured and smooth sheets, PLA and PETG ,all good.

Took some time to dial-in the Live-Z, but it was worth it.

The good and the bad thing about this printer is you can get some half-decent prints with wildly incorrect live-z settings but you need to persevere and get it right, not just close, then all works fine from there...

Posted : 22/03/2020 12:03 am
SteveL liked
Share: