Notifications
Clear all

Gauging interest in group project  

RSS
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Gauging interest in group project

Anyone interested in make a swapable hotend mount for the Prusa Mk3s?  

Something like:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3369444

I saw this and thought: why is there on something like this for the MK3s?  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 03/08/2020 4:01 pm
GertL liked
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
RE: Gauging interest in group project

I'd be interested, but not sure how much time I can dedicate to it. I'd really like to be able to change hotends & extruders without having to mess with the entire X carriage. Ideally, without recompiling firmware if just popping a V6 back on.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 03/08/2020 5:51 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

@bobstro

Me too.  I am really surprised someone has not done it yet.  It has to be possible.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 03/08/2020 6:35 pm
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member

I might be interested in something that would let me run something like a Dremel tool with the I3, kind of like a mini CNC mill.

At the local 'makerspace' they have a CNC kind of engraving machine which is more or less like this.  Since they opened back up, they are allowing only one person in the lab at any one time, so the chances of getting in there to use it when I want it are low.

Posted : 04/08/2020 1:32 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

I will think about a design that will work with the x-carriage.  If you can do the same, we will collaborate on this thread.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 04/08/2020 2:05 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

One of the unexpected pleasant surprises with the Sidewinder has been the extruder. They use ribbon cables (perhaps questionable) to the extruder assembly, and there's a small circuit board there that the thermistor and heater cartridge plug into, along with the fan and an LED. Leads are all very short (2-3 inches max) and tidy. The real bonus came when I realized I could remove the ribbon cable and 3 screws and have the entire extruder & hotend assembly in my hand. Makes maintenance a real breeze, and extuder and/or hotend swaps are straightforward.

I'm hesitant to modify my Mk3 too much since it's so reliable, but I'd love to mount a Titan Aero extruder with a V6/Dragon hotend and the 3D Solex nozzles to see what it can do.

He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 04/08/2020 4:48 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

@bobstro

That is exactly what I am thinking.  There is only one way to find out.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 04/08/2020 9:19 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

I'm also wondering if there's a way to do something like the ribbon cables, but using more robust cables. The choice of modular connectors is also important.

Posted : 04/08/2020 1:56 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

@bobstro

I do think that is possible.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 04/08/2020 2:58 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@charles-h13

I have modified a Bondtech extruder so that I can at least change the hotend quickly without having to partially disassemble the extruder.
When changing the hotends, only the heating cartridge, the thermistor, fanshroud and a locking device have to be removed so that it can be removed.

https://grabcad.com/library/prusa-mk3-bt-1-8-bmg-extruder-v2-1/details?folder_id=7128539

However, I find the idea of constructing a kind of Z-axis adapter interesting. I did the same with my CNC-milling machine, so that I can quickly install different spindles or for example a laser head or something similar.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 04/08/2020 3:54 pm
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member

I like that clip-on style with the angle bracket which looks like it will assure a very solid mounting with negligible play.

I took a good look at the MK3S while it was printing and honestly, this looks far more complex than I first thought.  That's quite a 'snake' growing out of the existing extruder, and if I remember the wiring during the assembly, it will not be easy to massage it into something that adapts easily to a removable extruder module.  I figure that there needs to be a connector, and that connector has to be very solid and reliable, as in not introducing any resistance or noise while that 'snake' is flexed during printing.

First of all, I want the printing to be just as reliable as it is now.  First rule, do no harm!

Posted : 04/08/2020 4:00 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

@jsw

That would be a requirement.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 04/08/2020 4:06 pm
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member

Let me ask a related question please.

What, specifically, are the advantages of using a different (single) extruder other than the stock extruder with the V6 hotend?

What requirements are there in any common prints that cannot be met with the stock extruder and hotend?

Posted : 04/08/2020 5:07 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @jsw

[...] What, specifically, are the advantages of using a different (single) extruder other than the stock extruder with the V6 hotend?

A geared (e.g. E3D Titan) extruder can make working with flexibles easier. The existing extruder has a max feed limit that is below what the E3D V6 hotend can process (~70mm^3/s). With a higher throughput hotend, this puts a maximum on top speeds/throughput.

What requirements are there in any common prints that cannot be met with the stock extruder and hotend?

Flexibles can be easier to work with (though the Mk3 is pretty good as-is). When working with larger nozzle sizes, you encounter limits with the hotend capacity to heat and move plastic (addressable with different hotend and/or nozzle designs). Newer hotend designs are more robust when swapping nozzles (less dependent on bracing the heater block with one hand while unscrewing the HOT nozzle with the other) and less prone to twisting. This accounts for a large percentage of the "leaking block" problems from poor nozzle installation.

Posted : 04/08/2020 5:17 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

For me, I just like to tinker so testing extruder on a printer is fun for me.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 04/08/2020 7:04 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

@karl-herbert

Interesting.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 04/08/2020 7:05 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

I've got a Dragon hi-throughput hotend coming. For now, it's targeting the Sidewinder (along with a Mellow "Wind" extruder) but it would be interesting to swap it in. Not on a real timeline, so this may take months.

Now if we really want to get fancy, design this so the hotend can be moved between different printers with compatible adapters! 

Posted : 04/08/2020 7:37 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

I might just make one that I can remove with screws.  I just want to test hotend.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 04/08/2020 7:57 pm
Share: