Clear all

Firmware 3.8.0-FINAL for Original Prusa i3 MK3S & MK3  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS
3dprintingrookie
(@3dprintingrookie)
Trusted Member
RE: Firmware 3.8.0-FINAL for Original Prusa i3 MK3S & MK3

If I am using a 0.25mm nozzle with a sliced model using 0.25mm settings, but kept the HW settings at 0.4mm (ignored the warning), does it affect my printing?

Posted : 06/10/2019 6:11 pm
Zoltan
(@zoltan)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @printingrookie

If I am using a 0.25mm nozzle with a sliced model using 0.25mm settings, but kept the HW settings at 0.4mm (ignored the warning), does it affect my printing?

In reality you are slicing under 0.25mm and having installed 0.25mm nozzle. This should work, you will just receive the Warning the nozzle diameter does not correspond to what you are presenting in FW (0.4mm) because the tool path (loaded to gcode) in slicer is calculated for 0.25 mm.

Opposite to the situation when you will slice with 0.4 mm nozzle (gcode will contain the value 0.4mm ) having mounted 0.25 nozzle and in FW data you will have set 0.4 mm, system will not warm ,but the print will be affected. 

Setting the nozzle diameter in the printer FW tries to keep consistency with slicing data coming via gcode.  Automated nozzle diameter recognition in printer would be great, but rather expensive I guess. 😉 

even an old man can learn new things 🙂
Standard I3 mk3s, MMU2S, Prusa Enclosure, Fusion 360, PrusaSlicer, Windows 10
PRUSA MINI+ Prusalink + Prusa Connect

Posted : 13/10/2019 8:31 pm
ryan.m43
(@ryan-m43)

Is anyone else still having problems with the filament motor getting too hot and melting the filament before it goes down, causing a jam (during a lengthy print session, like > 10 hours)?  I know this was an issue in the 3.6 timeframe, and I upgraded to 3.8 with the same issue.  Due to how bad I managed to jack up my rig, I went ahead and completely replaced the hotend with the Prusa preassembled one, and still having the same problem.

Posted : 14/10/2019 4:29 pm
NeuroticGamer
(@neuroticgamer)

@ryan-m43

I've had my share of problems but not that one.

Posted : 18/10/2019 12:28 am
NeuroticGamer
(@neuroticgamer)

I've noticed what I think is a new bug since I installed this on my MK3S.  Randomly, when I power off the unit after a print (minutes to hours later),  I'll get the loud beep indicating power failure.  When I power the unit up the next day, it tries to "recover" the print, waiting for the nozzle and bed to heat to a setpoint of 0 degC.  I end up having to randomly play in the menu and reboot a bunch to eventually get the firmware to stop thinking it should be printing.

Posted : 18/10/2019 12:31 am
Mystic
(@mystic)

I have a 0.4 and a 0.8 nozzle. Are there any plans to support other nozzle sizes than 0.25, 0.4, and 0.6?

Posted : 21/10/2019 3:13 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @thomas-g28

I have a 0.4 and a 0.8 nozzle. Are there any plans to support other nozzle sizes than 0.25, 0.4, and 0.6?

I suspect not. At least in terms of "official" profiles. Prusa's provided a good spread of sizes, and you can easily modify those to suit any other nozzle size. Some considerations:

• 0.25mm is the smallest non-experimental size E3D produces, and the 0.15m is problematic to say the least. It works, but not easily. Definitely not for beginners.
  • The 0.60mm is as pushing the limits of the E3D V6 hotend. With a 0.80mm nozzle, you're limited to speeds under 25mm/s once you get above 0.48mm layer heights. It's easy to over-run the hotend's capacity with larger nozzles.

I could be wrong, of course, but the more "supported" profiles Prusa puts out, the more resources they have to commit to what is not a profit-generating product (PrusaSlicer). I've created profiles for everything from 0.15mm to 1.5mm nozzles based on the Prusa profiles. It's not difficult to do it yourself and examples are available. I'm all for experimenting with different nozzles. I just don't expect Prusa to support 11 different nozzle sizes. (And why is there no love for a 0.70mm nozzle size?)

Edit: On the other hand, if you mean via the new nozzle size firmware setting, hmm. The question then is which oddball sizes?

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 21/10/2019 3:31 am
Sembazuru
(@sembazuru)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @bobstro

Edit: On the other hand, if you mean via the new nozzle size firmware setting, hmm. The question then is which oddball sizes?

If for the firmware setting, I'd like an additional setting which is "User" and then let the users enter in what ever odd-ball size they want. This is, after all, just a setting to let the firmware alert the user if a gcode with the wrong size nozzle is attempted. (AFAIK this setting doesn't change any of the internal math of the printing engine...) I suppose if I put on my brand-spanking new 0.20 MicroSwiss nozzle I could just turn the nozzle check off or deal with the warning beep. (I picked up the hard-nickle coated brass nozzles from the MicroSwiss booth at ERRF in 0.2, 0.4, 0.6, and 0.8 sizes. According to the ProtoPasta tech guy, the hard-nickle coated brass nozzles should work well for the CF filled HTPLA as long as I use z-hop.)

See my (limited) designs on:
Printables - https://www.printables.com/@Sembazuru
Thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/Sembazuru/designs

Posted : 21/10/2019 5:55 am
Mystic liked
ManelTo
(@manelto)
Estimable Member

I'm sorry. I do not understand.

Is not there?

Sorry for my poor English. I try to do my best.

Posted : 21/10/2019 8:11 am
Sembazuru
(@sembazuru)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @manelto

I'm sorry. I do not understand.

Is not there?

Except that this thread is for the firmware, not the PrusaSlicer software. The firmware version that is announced in this thread has a new feature where you can tell the printer what size nozzle it has installed so it can check to see if the gcode that it is being fed was generated with the correct nozzle size (if the gcode generator puts that information in it). One can certainly turn the check for nozzle size off in the printer settings and never be bothered by this. But if one makes changing the printer setting for nozzle size part of the nozzle swap routine, and one frequently changes nozzles, this feature creates one more sanity check before potentially causing a failed print. But the firmware only supports 3 nozzle sizes out of the small handful of available nozzle sizes out there.

See my (limited) designs on:
Printables - https://www.printables.com/@Sembazuru
Thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/Sembazuru/designs

Posted : 21/10/2019 1:36 pm
Mystic liked
ManelTo
(@manelto)
Estimable Member

Oh, yes! you're right. And precisily the new firmware has this nozzles size 0.25, 0.4 and 0.6 and not the 0.8 or other one.

Sorry for my poor English. I try to do my best.

Posted : 21/10/2019 6:10 pm
KevinK
(@kevink)
Trusted Member

For some reason Prusa just handles these sorts of parameters in the wrong way.  It is the same as the list of materials for calibration.  These things are just tables.  The right architectural approach is to create the tables and even prepopulate them if you want.  But make sure there is an entry or three extra and allow the user to customize the tables as they wish.  They can make the customization  a special Gcode if that makes it simpler for them.  But the idea that there is a fixed set of values that they provide with no reasonable escape to allow expert users to adjust is just the wrong way to do this sort of software (and I say this based on having been in the system design and software business for 50 years).

Posted : 21/10/2019 6:15 pm
Dave Avery
(@dave-avery)
Honorable Member

the problem is the limited amount of r/w flash available for storing info.

Posted : 21/10/2019 8:46 pm
Mystic
(@mystic)

@bobstro

I meant the new firmware. I just want some custom options or to be able to edit the ones that are there (like we can do with the build plates).

It would be nice to have 0.8 mm as a default slicer profile, but I've done fine so far just copying and modifying the 0.6 and don't think it's worth their time to support yet another size (if only I had realized before I bought the nozzle...).

I'll check out your profiles later.

Posted : 22/10/2019 4:21 am
Mystic
(@mystic)
Posted by: @david-a66

the problem is the limited amount of r/w flash available for storing info.

They could make it so there's a settings table file you load with the hex that would compile in the sizes you want... Then no extra space taken for firmware, you don't need to code anything special, and it survives upgrades (since you don't need to change the source code yourself).

Posted : 22/10/2019 4:27 am
IASMAR
(@iasmar)

thank you for posting

Posted : 20/12/2019 10:15 am
Page 3 / 3
Share: