Notifications
Clear all

Filament Tension Adjustment  

RSS
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Filament Tension Adjustment

I'm having a terrible time adjusting the tension on my i3mk3s       I'm using hatch box pla at 215 nozzle and 40 bed

no matter how much or little I adjust the setscrew, it won't properly feed the filament 

I need assistance on the proper procedure to set it so my filament flows

I've changed the nozzle   My printer is a month old

Maybe I'm too old !

HELP !!

Russell Lauffer

Posted : 30/09/2020 9:17 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
RE: Filament Tension Adjustment

Hi Russell, 
I am 65... is that old enough? 

without filament in the extruder, I loosen the tension screw until there is no tension on the screw, then I tighten the screw until I just feel the tension cause the screw to be a tiny bit tougher to turn, and leave it at that. 
I then load the filament and print to my hearts content. 

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 30/09/2020 10:57 pm
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member

I use Hatchbox PLA, PETg, and ABS all the time.  I've found that the 'sweet spot' for tension is with the head of the screw just slightly below the surface of the extruder.  It's pretty much a set-and-forget adjustment once it's dialed in.  I find that it rarely, if ever, needs to be adjusted for such things as filament brand and type.

And don't worry about age!  I'm older than Joan.  I'm retired and use 3d printing mostly for model railroading.

Posted : 01/10/2020 1:50 am
Area51
(@area51)

Printing PETG I have the tension screw at the same level as @jsw. I agree it is set and forget until I use TPU/Flex, here I loosen two turns to avoid squeezing the filament.

Have a look at my models on Printables.com 😉

Posted : 01/10/2020 3:03 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@jsw

I have the same setting.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 01/10/2020 3:46 pm
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Topic starter answered:

Well I'm 75 

I've tried all the methods that I received,  none work.  If I apply manual downward pressure on the filament it comes out fine.

What else could I be missing ?

Open to all suggestions - I just ordered a new spring   but I don't know the size of the screw.

Russell Lauffer

Posted : 01/10/2020 4:25 pm
Area51
(@area51)
Posted by: @rlauffer

Open to all suggestions - I just ordered a new spring   but I don't know the size of the screw.

The screw used to adjust and hold the spring is M3x40 mm (ISO DIN 4762).

Have a look at my models on Printables.com 😉

Posted : 01/10/2020 10:30 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

@rlauffer

Hi Russel, 

Is the grub screw fitted in the Motor side of the bondtech pair? 
it should be M3x2   and  should befitted against the flat on the motor shaft. 

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 01/10/2020 10:31 pm
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Topic starter answered:

GOT IT

the screw on the tension sprocket was a little loose  -  tightened it and all in ok in the world  except for:::::

did a full calibration and now the Z (set to zero) is still to low 

how do I raise it ??

Russell Lauffer

Posted : 02/10/2020 5:33 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

if there is a gap between the nozzle and the build plate. Adjusting the live Z to a negative value will reduce the size of the gap.

The printer will not go into positive values

Regards joan

Posted : 02/10/2020 6:29 pm
Share: