Notifications
Clear all

do you guys use nozzles from spool3d, tungsten carbide!  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
muo
 muo
(@muo)
Estimable Member
do you guys use nozzles from spool3d, tungsten carbide!

I been having leaking problem with my hot end and have tried lots of stuff to fix it to no avail, but when I got a heat block from purse there was large improvement. At the moment I am using  a titanium heat break from e3d, heat block from prusa, and tungsten nozzle from spool3d.

so have you ever had a problem with tolerance with this nozzle from spool3d? does it also work well with other heat break?

Posted : 21/05/2020 5:00 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
RE: do you guys use nozzles from spool3d, tungsten carbide!

No issues for me.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 21/05/2020 5:10 pm
muo
 muo
(@muo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @charles-h13

No issues for me.  

ah.. good to here, going to do more testing to see what is causing this issue might need more opinions on other items related to this nozzle 

Posted : 21/05/2020 5:25 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

I have one installed on my printer right now.

Other good nozzle options:

1. Midwest Tungsten Nozzle
  2. Microswiss A2 Tool Steel Nozzle
  3. Microswiss M2 Nozzle - currently sold out on Amazon
  4. Slice Engineering Vanadium Nozzles

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 22/05/2020 12:55 pm
muo
 muo
(@muo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @charles-h13

I have one installed on my printer right now.

Other good nozzle options:

1. Midwest Tungsten Nozzle
  2. Microswiss A2 Tool Steel Nozzle
  3. Microswiss M2 Nozzle - currently sold out on Amazon
  4. Slice Engineering Vanadium Nozzles

good options nice might have to try out some of those....

i was wondering when u use the tungsten carbide nozzle from spool3d or even this ones, when you pre-heat and try to take a nozzle out is there resistance when you take it out or it come out smoothly at pre-heat temp(285c)????

i ask because my comes out smooth and i am not sure if that is normal....i recall the first time i removed the nozzle from a pre-assembled hot end there was a lot of resistance... and ever since then i have only used the tungsten nozzle, i am not sure what the norm is?

This post was modified 4 years ago by muo
Posted : 23/05/2020 10:55 pm
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member

I know it is a basic that you probably already covered, but is your heat break far enough into your heater block? The wide, flat portion of the Spool3D nozzle should not quite reach the heater block when it is fully tightened. If that is contacting your heater block, your heat break isn't far enough in your heater block to effect a good seal between heat break and nozzle.

I use the Spool3D nozzle as my main nozzle and print mainly PETG and PC with my machines. No leaking - even with months of near continual printing.

Posted : 24/05/2020 6:37 pm
muo
 muo
(@muo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @guy-k2

I know it is a basic that you probably already covered, but is your heat break far enough into your heater block? The wide, flat portion of the Spool3D nozzle should not quite reach the heater block when it is fully tightened. If that is contacting your heater block, your heat break isn't far enough in your heater block to effect a good seal between heat break and nozzle.

I use the Spool3D nozzle as my main nozzle and print mainly PETG and PC with my machines. No leaking - even with months of near continual printing.

ya there is a small gap between the heater block and nozzle and little bit of the heat break is popping out at top of the Block i even got opinions on 2-3 past re-assemblies i did from prusa chat, they said the assembly looked good even the cold pull showed there was no gap between the heat break and nozzle...still unsure whey it looses over time even with that done correctly, i think...

here are the pic of the most recently re-assembly it may be (Ignore the little bit of blue plastic on nozzle it is not a leak just shoved it up when cleaning nozzle )

Posted : 24/05/2020 7:15 pm
muo
 muo
(@muo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

let me know if you need more pic of info of hot end, i can take it out or even what type or filament i am using etc......

Posted : 24/05/2020 7:22 pm
Jerry liked
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

Is this the stock heat block?

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 24/05/2020 7:26 pm
muo
 muo
(@muo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

@charles-h13

no that one had issues so i got a new one from prusa

Posted : 24/05/2020 7:40 pm
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member

That is too close between the nozzle and heat block from your picts. Nozzle is probably bottoming against heat block rather than seating its end tight against heat break. I would remove the nozzle and advance your heat break another 1/2 to 1 turn into the heat block. 

Posted : 24/05/2020 10:39 pm
muo
 muo
(@muo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

do you do cold pulls after printing with PETG if so how often? and would not doing it has ever caused leaks or other issues for you?

That is too close between the nozzle and heat block from your picts. Nozzle is probably bottoming against heat block rather than seating its end tight against heat break. I would remove the nozzle and advance your heat break another 1/2 to 1 turn into the heat block. 

the second re-assembly i did the heat break was in more i was told to take it out a bit but ya i can try what you said 1/2 turn or so and see what results i get..

thanks!

Posted : 24/05/2020 10:52 pm
muo
 muo
(@muo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

@guy-k2

just did a cold pull with out changing the nozzle distance, same setup as the one in the pic no changes..

Posted : 25/05/2020 2:22 am
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member

If heat break and nozzle are in tight contact and still leaking, then what you are left with is debris or mechanical irregularity on end of heat break or nozzle.

My TC nozzle definitely has an initial, breaking loose when loosened hot. Then it threads out smoothly. 

Posted : 25/05/2020 6:41 am
muo
 muo
(@muo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

If heat break and nozzle are in tight contact and still leaking, then what you are left with is debris or mechanical irregularity on end of heat break or nozzle.

My TC nozzle definitely has an initial, breaking loose when loosened hot. Then it threads out smoothly. 

By debris do you mean something stuck on the threads of block/break/nozzle like filament or solid matter or debris on the ends of where heat break and nozzle make a seal?

and by mechanical what potential things can be wrong besides threads tolerance? 

the times i have hot loosened its mostly been smooth but that may be because the nozzle all ready came loose for some reason? this may be difficult to describe but are you getting a strong resistance/breaking or light or how does it feel i suppose before it come out smooth?

Posted : 25/05/2020 6:26 pm
muo
 muo
(@muo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

also the end of the TC nozzle where it makes contact with the heat break is smooth not sure if that is normal maby it has to be rough a bit....

Posted : 25/05/2020 6:35 pm
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member

I mean the ends of the nozzle and heat break. The ends are what form the seal, not the threads. The threads are just the mechanical compression source for pushing the two ends tightly together.

What I mean by firm then breaking loose. Imagine a nut tightly torqued onto a bolt. When you try to remove the nut it does not simply start rotating. Not until you apply enough torque does it break loose and thereafter spins easily. That is what happens when I remove my TC nozzle.s It is firmly in place, then breaks loose.

Posted : 25/05/2020 6:44 pm
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member

Just backing up, what you mean by leaking is through the threads, not dribbling out the nozzle, right?

Posted : 25/05/2020 6:45 pm
muo
 muo
(@muo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

@guy-k2

correct i am at a point where even before i start seeing filament come out the top of heat block or around the nozzle i know its happened, have had countless leaks and re-assembly of hot end...and when i open the hot end i can see the filament on the threads of the nozzle going down on threads... or break

some how the heat break and nozzle seal gets loosened, not sure how yet.

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by muo
Posted : 26/05/2020 5:23 am
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member

Does it leak with a brass nozzle?

Posted : 26/05/2020 5:54 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: