Notifications
Clear all

"Branches" growing off of the print.  

RSS
Lucas G.
(@lucas-g)
"Branches" growing off of the print.

I haven't printed a lot since firmware 3.9. Yesterday I have printed some flat parts with small vertical features. I have noticed some imperfections but nothing critical. Today I am printing some microphone holder and I get this. Can someone give me an advice?

Prusa 3.9 no mods. Prusa Slicer 2.2. Prusament PETG JetBlack. Standard setting except variable height and detect thin walls.

It may be the same issue mentioned here: https://github.com/prusa3d/Prusa-Firmware/issues/2674

This topic was modified 4 years ago 2 times by Lucas G.
Posted : 11/06/2020 5:09 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member
RE: "Branches" growing off of the print.

Something in your model has an overhang with no support.  The printer extrudes into free air and the dangling extrusion attaches to the next point in the movement where there is something to attach to.  Basically, you can't print into free air: all printing must be done on to something.

Posted : 17/06/2020 1:26 pm
Lucas G. liked
Lucas G.
(@lucas-g)
Topic starter answered:

I have forgotten that I posted here. Problem is solved already. Because no one have answered I started to troubleshot myself. The issue was wet PETG. I have put it in the oven for 4 hours and reprint this part. This time came flowless. Thank you.

Posted : 17/06/2020 4:23 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Thank you for the follow up. 

I don't think anyone knew what the cause was! 

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 17/06/2020 6:05 pm
Lucas G. liked
Area51
(@area51)

I have seen this on some of my prints with PETG and thanks to your investigation, I will try drying the filament the next time.

Have a look at my models on Printables.com 😉

Posted : 17/06/2020 11:56 pm
Lucas G. liked
Olef
 Olef
(@olef)
Prominent Member

I too have encountered this randomly. Time to buy a filament dryer then.

Posted : 18/06/2020 6:07 am
Lucas G.
(@lucas-g)
Topic starter answered:

If you have a reasonable modern oven I would use that. I have dried 4 rolls together and haven't wasted energy for just one. 
The fans in my oven have taken care of the moist quicker than I would expect.

Posted : 18/06/2020 6:10 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

This works in most electric ovens, but is NOT a Good Idea in Gas Ovens

Gas Ovens control temperature by turning a flame bar, on and off, this is likely to give short term high temperatures, well above the average temperature set on the thermostat. 

these are often hot enough to melt your filament

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 18/06/2020 9:40 am
Lucas G. liked
Lucas G.
(@lucas-g)
Topic starter answered:

Of course I meant electric oven with good thermostat. I thought it is obvious. I would also measure the temperature with more precise tool to learn how accurate it is before putting plastic in.

Posted : 18/06/2020 10:46 am
Share: