Clear all

best option for smooth glass first layer  

RSS
impression3D.xyz
(@impression3d-xyz)
Trusted Member
best option for smooth glass first layer

Hi,

what is the bed option to have a smooth and glass effect first layer? without using a glass 🙂

doest it existe cool bed adhesives or plate for it ? PEI glass sheet ?

polypropylene bed like this one ? :  https://www.amazon.fr/Sothat-Construction-Dimprimante-Polypropyl%C3%A8ne-Limprimante/dp/B083Q3N4BW

https://www.buildtak.eu/product/buildtak-pei-3d-printing-surface/

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32946970628.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.3d56dd05hxrZXU&algo_pvid=f3f51a31-b338-4179-9d16-601db8d45000&algo_expid=f3f51a31-b338-4179-9d16-601db8d45000-0&btsid=0ab6f81615911723629351805e053d&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Thanks for your help 🙂

MK3S and Mini print farm

Posted : 03/06/2020 8:20 am
Chocki
(@chocki)
Prominent Member
RE: best option for smooth glass first layer

The smooth PEI sheet.

I take it you have received the textured sheet (Which personally I would only use for PETG and TPU).

PRUSA do a smooth spring steel PEI sheet or look on Amazon and type Prusa Mk3 then search for a spring steel sheet with PEI adhesive sheet

eg https://www.amazon.fr/Gaoominy-LImprimante-Plate-Forme-Imprimant-Construction/dp/B089GKRCFM/ref=sr_1_51?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=prusa+mk3&qid=1591174381&sr=8-51

But I cannot comment on the quality of these, sometimes you may get a good one sometimes not.

Normal people believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet.

Posted : 03/06/2020 8:56 am
impression3D.xyz
(@impression3d-xyz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

hi,

thanks for your feedback. 

i have the prusa PEI sheet witch is really good but produce a mat finishing, but i prefer a glossy finishing like with a glass. because my first layers are put on front of walls 🙂

i am selling 3D printed art that are hanged on walls 🙂

i really love my prusa printer. thanks to the prusa tea for their work !

MK3S and Mini print farm

Posted : 03/06/2020 11:02 am
Chocki
(@chocki)
Prominent Member

Would it not be just as easy to spray the finished face with gloss lacquer as not all filament is capable of a glossy finish especially PLA.

For glossy finishes you really want to be using PETG and at the higher end of it's temperature, which can cause stringing, also with no cooling.

Normal people believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet.

Posted : 03/06/2020 3:14 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @impression3d

[...] what is the bed option to have a smooth and glass effect first layer? without using a glass 🙂

I have seen some very nice prints (on other printers) with mirror-smooth first layers printed on glass. The surface is almost mirror like. They are absolutely beautiful, but that result is not easy:

• You need a perfect flat piece of glass. This is not as easy as it sounds and you won't know the glass is smooth enough until you try it.
  • No prep can be used on the glass. The finest coating will distort the finish.
  • Your first layer calibration has to be perfect. Too high and there will be small gaps between extrusions. Too low and they'll be squished and distorted.
  • You have to get it off the glass without damaging the finish.

So while I won't say what you're trying to do is impossible, I can say it's not easy. You can get close on a Prusa with the smooth PEI surface, but it will work best with a new PEI sheet (no sanding, very little prep) and it won't be as shiny. As @chocki suggests, some post-processing is probably much easier and less error-prone. Alternately, check out what people have done with textured print surfaces.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 03/06/2020 8:08 pm
Share: