Notifications
Clear all

Anyone had this Z-layer line before?  

RSS
Jonny
(@jonny-2)
Anyone had this Z-layer line before?

Hi, I've managed to fix most of the issues I have come across with my MK3s, but this one has me stumped. I am hoping someone has come across this issue before.

The Print for the most part is perfect, Unless it contains an inner flat surface. If the model has such a surface the outer layer has a slight rim that is not in the model.

Posted : 24/05/2020 7:19 pm
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member
RE: Anyone had this Z-layer line before?

Yes, this is a common artifact for Prusa printing.

Posted : 24/05/2020 7:22 pm
Andrew
(@andrew-5)
Estimable Member

Interesting.

I got that and suspected it was where the model transitions from one infill to another. I think there may also be a temperature issue too as I noticed that the artefact is very much reduced if close to the bed. I printed the Prusa whistle 200% scale and the change from the flat base to the "walls" is almost imperceptible but when it moves from "wall" to flat top section (approx. 32mm up from the bed) the finish looks like the top is a separate piece being ever so slightly bigger.

Sorry that doesn't cure anything but at my age I will let the youngsters work it out. Until then I have a wide selection of sandpaper. 😉 

Andrew

Posted : 25/05/2020 10:28 am
fuchsr
(@fuchsr)
Famed Member

I've seen a lot of these artifacts as well, mostly in situations like yours where the outside is a solid surface but there are flat surfaces on the inside. At those transition points I see the rims appear on the outside.

I hope someone has a fix (slicer setting?)

Posted : 25/05/2020 12:17 pm
Share: