nicholas.b38
(@nicholas-b38)
Re: $250AUD IMPORT DUTY???

It was $150 CAD duty to bring it into Canada. I was shocked too

Posted : 01/04/2019 3:54 am
dcarbonetti
(@dcarbonetti)
RE: $250AUD IMPORT DUTY???

I am looking at buying one and remembered the $1000 aud thing that kicked in. the crazy part is that there is around 200 aud price difference after conversion if i pay in usd vs paying in złoty 

if the goods are under 1000 aud value then :

For goods with a value of AUD1000 or less, there are generally no duties, taxes or charges to pay at the border.

• However, From 1 July 2018, the Goods and Services Tax (GST) may be collected by overseas vendors of such low value goods when imported from overseas by consumers in Australia. GST will be charged at the point of sale and not at the border.

Goods (excluding tobacco, tobacco products and alcoholic beverages) with a value of AUD1000 or less are referred to as low value imports. From 1 July 2018, the GST may apply to these goods when imported from overseas by consumers in Australia.

If these goods arrive in Australia by air or sea cargo, they must have a Self-Assessed Clearance (SAC) Declaration. There is no charge for this declaration. This will be taken care of by the cargo company or freight forwarder if their services are engaged.

Goods arriving by post or mail do not require a SAC declaration.

so maybe if we can get an aud list price of 999 it might make life easier?

This post was modified 4 years ago by dcarbonetti
Posted : 29/09/2020 12:53 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @marc-y3

I've just been slapped with $250 import duty shipping a MK3 kit into Australia!! What the hell is that?? It cost me $1201 AUD including shipping, surely $250 is far too much? Anyone have any advice for me?

This has come up before. I recall that one Australian customer had been charged duty on shipping and other fees rather than the actual printer value. It might be worth following up to see if you can at least reduce the duty.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 29/09/2020 5:36 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

Fairtrade is the way to go.  Too many countries use this as a way to reduce competition with their own products.   

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 29/09/2020 12:24 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

High shipping costs and sometimes very opaque customs regulations often make global trade difficult. I paid 71 euro (about US $ 80) for a tungsten carbide nozzle from the USA (US $ 39.90) including shipping and taxes (+100%).
But I wanted to have the part, so I accepted the high costs 😏 

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 29/09/2020 2:31 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @charles-h13

Fairtrade is the way to go.  Too many countries use this as a way to reduce competition with their own products.   

There have been a few posts indicating that the US has changed policies recently, and there is a chance of tripping the $800 cutover to avoid import duties is you're not careful when ordering a Mk3.

I'm not aware of any countries that have zero import duties outside of customs unions, just varying amounts and cutoffs depending on the applicable treaties.

I can understand some of the concern when a major economy starts subsidizing shipping to the point that it's cheaper for a customer to order a product from thousands of miles away with "free" (military economy-subsidized) shipping versus a local supplier who has to charge shipping. 

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 29/09/2020 4:25 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@bobstro

I agree.  I just wish they did not use it as a crutch and stifle competition.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 29/09/2020 4:28 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member
Posted by: @bobstro
I can understand some of the concern when a major economy starts subsidizing shipping to the point that it's cheaper for a customer to order a product from thousands of miles away with "free" (military economy-subsidized) shipping versus a local supplier who has to charge shipping.
Especially in US it's an issue. But it's also due to the size of the country. West to East coast is roughly 2800 miles. Sometimes domestic supplier is not really "local supplier".

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 29/09/2020 4:42 pm
Peter M
(@peter-m)
Noble Member

Try to convince Prusa to send the printer in 2 parts.

Posted : 30/09/2020 8:42 am
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@peter-m26

The idea is great, it could be mine 👍 Maybe Prusa will go for it in your case.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 30/09/2020 10:29 am
Peter M
(@peter-m)
Noble Member

I know people who buy a lot of dvd's in the past.

But more then 1 dvd then you had to pay taxes(The Nederlands-Europe),

but the shop sends the dvd's 1 by 1, so no taxis had to be paid.

Posted : 30/09/2020 10:58 am
Infiltrator
(@infiltrator)
Eminent Member

I just purchased a MK3s kit from a Prusa supplier in QLD.  It cost me $1,535 so what you paid is pretty much what I would have expected.

Posted : 04/10/2020 2:54 am
Sam
 Sam
(@sam-16)

In a country set up to derive large portions of taxation revenue from a GST, applying that GST to imported items is not ridiculous. And its not an import tax its a Goods and Services Tax that is applied to almost everything purchased by a resident of Australia. If you create a situation where all retail sourced from overseas is automatically 10% cheaper than anything retailed here you create a market bias against local commerce, which isn't something an elected official is going to champion.

Taxes pay for things like universal health care and democratic elections 🙂

I was looking for my duties invoice but all it has it the total. A completely breakdown was provided on DHL's website when I went to pay... and I'm sure it was also provided to you when you paid. I recall 10% was gst then I paid a number of fees. Something like ~$80 of clearance duties was the major item then a few random other fees totalling around ~$30. They seemed to be fixed fees vs something that cost more if the item cost more. I don't agree that there is any opaque or misleading about this process.

If you don't think duties clearance fees are fair then consider that if you don't pay it as a fee then it has to be funded with... drum roll.. taxes! In which case "John never-imported-anything Doe" is paying for the infrastructure needed for you to import shit. Does that sound fair?

This post was modified 4 years ago by Sam
Posted : 18/10/2020 2:45 am
bobstro and IPIND 3D liked
muddymaker
(@muddymaker)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @critchley-sj

In a country set up to derive large portions of taxation revenue from a GST, applying that GST to imported items is not ridiculous. And its not an import tax its a Goods and Services Tax that is applied to almost everything purchased by a resident of Australia. If you create a situation where all retail sourced from overseas is automatically 10% cheaper than anything retailed here you create a market bias against local commerce, which isn't something an elected official is going to champion.

Taxes pay for things like universal health care and democratic elections 🙂

I was looking for my duties invoice but all it has it the total. A completely breakdown was provided on DHL's website when I went to pay... and I'm sure it was also provided to you when you paid. I recall 10% was gst then I paid a number of fees. Something like ~$80 of clearance duties was the major item then a few random other fees totalling around ~$30. They seemed to be fixed fees vs something that cost more if the item cost more. I don't agree that there is any opaque or misleading about this process.

If you don't think duties clearance fees are fair then consider that if you don't pay it as a fee then it has to be funded with... drum roll.. taxes! In which case "John never-imported-anything Doe" is paying for the infrastructure needed for you to import shit. Does that sound fair?

Look out, There is a new sheriff in town!

Posted : 19/10/2020 8:00 am
IPIND 3D
(@ipind-3d)
Estimable Member

Got to agree with @critchley-sj   Joe public shouldn't have to carry the tax burden of the purchasing choices of individuals. People carry on about "Buy Australian", but still go and order from overseas because it looks to be cheaper.

Yep, copping the duty, GST and associated handling fees before we get our hands on our purchase here in Australia does suck, but the fees are no secret, Prusa have warnings on the eStore with a link to the estimated additional charges. On that page, people add comments about the fees they were charged to keep the info up to date - myself included.

I too was charged excess duty (about $23 AUD) due to the shipping costs NOT being declared by Prusa. @Prusa need to address this - it a common and ongoing complaint.

I posted it in the past, but here it is again. Check your exchange rates against the available currencies.  The AUD sucks against the USD, Euro and GBP. On the other hand, the AUD crushes the Polish Zloty and the Czech Koruna. Also, when paying with PayPal, set PayPal to complete the transaction in the selected currency so your credit card provider handles the exchange rate. A lot of card providers offer better exchange rates than PayPal and no conversion fee. Check with your provider  - YMMV.

Run the conversion when you do your order. It saved me about  $200AUD on the printer and saves me $20-30AUD when I order 2 spools of Prusament.

Ben.

Posted : 19/10/2020 12:14 pm
vintagepc
(@vintagepc)
Posted by: @morphias

Also, when paying with PayPal, set PayPal to complete the transaction in the selected currency so your credit card provider handles the exchange rate. A lot of card providers offer better exchange rates than PayPal and no conversion fee. Check with your provider  - YMMV.

Ben.

Especially true now that the currency conversion fee is now 4% for PP when it used to be a wash at 2.5% with my CC. One less reason to use paypal...

Posted : 19/10/2020 1:05 pm
Sam
 Sam
(@sam-16)

I can concur. I just tried this on a purchase and the difference was $4 (96 to 92). Paypal bad

Posted : 24/10/2020 12:09 am
GazzaS
(@gazzas)

I had the same issue. I know that it stinks. Where I worked we had a lot of issues with DHL.

Posted : 25/10/2020 11:03 pm
vintagepc
(@vintagepc)

I've had nothing but bad experiences with DHL Canada. 

DHL US, on the other hand, I've had no issues with surprise fees or duties - but I also have not exceeded the personal threshold value with them. (The CA threshold is an anachronistically low $20 bar after which import duties and taxes are assessed). 

Posted : 26/10/2020 2:28 pm
niksadonis
(@niksadonis)

Posted by: @peter-m

I know people who buy a lot of dvd's in the past.

But more then 1 dvd then you had to pay taxes(The Nederlands-Europe),

but the shop sends the dvd's 1 by 1, so no taxis had to be paid.

Where have you seen such conditions? I bought a DVD last month. The duty was only on 10 pieces.

This post was modified 3 years ago by niksadonis

The best choice for everyone VCR DVD Combo

Posted : 24/08/2021 9:04 am
Page 2 / 3
Share: