X-Axis Belt Slipping During Calibration. Can't tension more. Only able to move 205mm according to LCD.

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] X-Axis Belt Slipping During Calibration. Can't tension more. Only able to move 205mm according to LCD.  

RSS
Dave
 Dave
(@dave-2)
X-Axis Belt Slipping During Calibration. Can't tension more. Only able to move 205mm according to LCD.

Assembled my MK3s and everthing seemed to go smoothly. However, as soon as I powered it on and ran the self test, I ran into issues:

•  X-Axis self test always fails.
    • I can't seen any obstructions.
    • I can hear and see the metal fan screw collide with the lead screw as it hits the left side.
    • I can hear and see the plastic body collide as it moves to the right.
  • If I run a XYZ calibration, the X-Axis belt starts skipping when it hits the right hand side. Video.
  • If I manually move the X-Axis through the settings menu, it claims to only move 205mm from side to side, even though I can clearly measure 250mm with a tape measure (and the heated bed beneath).
    • The Y-Axis seems to move an appropriate 212mm.
    • The Z-Axis also moves an appropriate 210mm.

What am I doing wrong here? I've tried auto-homing, I've tried calibrating, I've tried self testing.

The make matters more frustrating, the X-Axis belt is fully tensions. I literally have no way of tensioning the belt more, (the screws won't allow it) even though I don't find the belt to be uniquely tight when I check by hand. 

X-Axis fully tensioned

Posted : 05/03/2020 1:51 am
vintagepc
(@vintagepc)
RE: X-Axis Belt Slipping During Calibration. Can't tension more. Only able to move 205mm according to LCD.

Your X pulley looks a bit large. Any chance this is your issue?

https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk3s-mk3-assembly-and-first-prints-troubleshooting/self-test-fails-when-testing-y-axis/#post-197393

Posted : 05/03/2020 2:33 pm
Dave
 Dave
(@dave-2)
Topic starter answered:
RE: X-Axis Belt Slipping During Calibration. Can't tension more. Only able to move 205mm according to LCD.

You are amazing.

It is a 20 tooth gear just as you suspected. The math works out as well: 250 * 16 / 20 = 200, which is basically the x-axis distance I was getting.

I checked the y-axis and it is the appropriate 16 tooth pulley.

A new pulley is the mail. Thanks!

Posted : 06/03/2020 1:49 am
vintagepc liked
vintagepc
(@vintagepc)

Glad you're all set! (I just happened to have read that thread before I viewed yours and made the connection...)

Posted : 07/03/2020 11:49 am
Dashy
(@dashy)

@mankyd

How did you order the new pulley? I would like to do the same, because I keep getting x axis length error.

Posted : 20/03/2020 11:10 pm
Dashy
(@dashy)

@mankyd

How did you order the new pulley? I would like to do the same, because I keep getting x axis length error.

Posted : 20/03/2020 11:11 pm
Dashy
(@dashy)

@mankyd

Posted : 20/03/2020 11:11 pm
Dashy
(@dashy)

How did you order the pulley? I am also getting that error.

Posted : 20/03/2020 11:12 pm
Dave
 Dave
(@dave-2)
Topic starter answered:

Lots of them available online with a little searching. These were the ones I snagged: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IMPM44O/ . I also discovered that one of my local computer stores carries them in stock.

Note that I bet Prusa will ship you a new one if you reach out to them. It's up to you what you find easiest.

Posted : 21/03/2020 12:30 am
Share: