Notifications
Clear all

Too much filament extruded ? First layer fail.  

RSS
MTom
 MTom
(@mtom)
Trusted Member
Too much filament extruded ? First layer fail.

Hi,

I tried a couple of modification since I got the MK3s, (Skelestruder etc.) swapped the hotend as well but nothing turned out as I expected. Advantages came in with other disadvantages.

However, I set everything back to stock level now, new metal sheet, new nozzle, latest firmware, dried filament, but I just get it to print a decent first layer. It looks like it is extruding too much filament.

As you can see on the picture the lines are almost 1.5mm and at the last step it is sort of stacking the filament.

When I increase the distance to the bed it gets better, however the first layer is about 0.8mm then and the prints usually fail later.

I am sort of stuck once again, what can I do about this? I could reduce the extrusion multiplier but that wouldn´t affect the first layer calibration and it feels sort of patch-fixing the issue.

Posted : 28/08/2020 9:49 am
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member
RE: Too much filament extruded ? First layer fail.

When you did your skelestruder did you have to adjust the steps per mm at all ?  and if so have you reset them back to whats needed for the stock extruder ?  Firmware changes dont often reset those values as they are stored in eeprom.

Posted : 28/08/2020 11:13 am
MTom
 MTom
(@mtom)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

Argh yes I remember there was something.

M502 / M500 I assume?

Posted : 28/08/2020 11:37 am
MTom
 MTom
(@mtom)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

Oh yes, thanks for the hint. I guess that was the reason, much better now.

Posted : 28/08/2020 11:44 am
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

LOL - glad I could help.  

Posted : 28/08/2020 11:56 am
Share: