Clear all

The noise coming from X axis and first layer problem  

RSS
Onur İnci
(@onur-inci)
Trusted Member
The noise coming from X axis and first layer problem

Hi,

I've assembled my mk3s 2 days ago and I've been testing printer since. I clean the sheet every time after print, also preheat the bed and the nozzle extra 5 degree but still, I'm experiencing this first layer problem. Also, i'm getting this noise problem since yesterday. Anybody can help me on this ?
Thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/dXwsb5l

Posted : 24/02/2020 2:56 pm
Peter M
(@peter-m)
Noble Member
RE: The noise coming from X axis and first layer problem

Make a picture of the first layer.

Clean the bed very good, see forum. Clean with dish soap and between prints with alcohol.

First layer needs to be 100%, try a little bit lower.

Make a test model for the first layer, a bigger flat square, and only the first layer.

Posted : 24/02/2020 8:51 pm
Onur İnci
(@onur-inci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

@peter-m26

I did everything you said actually. I washed the whole sheet and did print calibrate square so many times. I made a progress about first layer but when i print a full model somehow it loses that calibration so first layer doesn't stick into sheet well. And one extra thing i noticed is when z bed leveling process nozzle leakes filament. Because of that when print starts it effects negatively first layer. It doesn't stick well and make a blob around the layers. Actually this got me thinking that the problem is related to surface that printer sits. Tomorrow i will transport the printer into different flat surface and experiment it.

Posted : 24/02/2020 11:38 pm
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member

You have binding bearings on the X axis. Power your machine off and move the extruder both directions. It should be smooth.

If not, loosen the screws on the extruder that hold the bearings a half turn or so. They tend to crush the bearings.

And you did lubricate the bearings during assembly?

Posted : 25/02/2020 2:02 am
Onur İnci
(@onur-inci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

@robert-rmm200

It is smooth for me actually but somehow i got this noise. I didn't lubricate because in assemble instructions prusa says it's already been lubricated before shipping so i didn't

Posted : 25/02/2020 11:11 am
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member

Try loosening the extruder bearing mounting screws a bit and see if the noise changes.

Posted : 25/02/2020 7:14 pm
Onur İnci
(@onur-inci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

@robert-rmm200

It changed but still, I'm having first layer problem.  I changed the surface of the printer but still didn't fix that. I guess it's not related to this problem in my situation. I changed the height of the probe, redid the calibration wizard, then try to calibrate my z with calibration square again but i can't fix this. Actually I get different first layer results every day. Tried to raise the temperature of the bed and extruder, washing sheet, tighten the screws. Still, my z value is not consistent. What should be done when nothing fixes this issue? Should i go back to factory defaults then redo everything ?

This post was modified 4 years ago by Onur İnci
Posted : 25/02/2020 7:25 pm
Peter M
(@peter-m)
Noble Member

Do a first layer, and only 1 layer, make a picture, and let us see it.

You need to learn, so do not panic, take your time, and play with the settings.

Normally a new user keeps the first layer to high, try every attempt to lower a little bit more, and see wat happens.

Posted : 25/02/2020 11:09 pm
Onur İnci
(@onur-inci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

@peter-m26

I cleaned the sheet with %99 IPA today then i did first layer as you said. Here are the [caption id="attachment_16150" align="alignnone" width  

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by Onur İnci
Posted : 26/02/2020 12:44 pm
Onur İnci
(@onur-inci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

Looks like -0.863 is good value but still, there are inconsistencies between layers. For example, some parts have holes some parts haven't. 

Posted : 26/02/2020 12:48 pm
GKMAKEIT
(@gkmakeit)
Estimable Member

In the video I hear a "thud" kind of noise like something is skipping (belt or extruder gears), you know what that noise is?

First Layer Calibration

First tell the firmware which sheet you have mounted (smooth or textured) the last Z setting you set will be stored by the firmware for that sheet.You need to repeat this process for each different sheet type you use. The physical thickness of the textured sheet is thinner than the smooth sheet.

Never ever mislead the firmware about which sheet is current. That can dig trenches across the sheet - or print in the air.

Hope this helps.

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/20306-first-layer-calibration

Posted : 26/02/2020 5:07 pm
GKMAKEIT
(@gkmakeit)
Estimable Member

Check the X belt tension and make sure the belt gear is tight.

Posted : 26/02/2020 5:09 pm
Onur İnci
(@onur-inci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

@gkmakeit

Thanks for the video it's really helpful. I'm using smooth sheet. Let me list the changes which i made.

• I've updated the firmware to the last one.(3.8.1-2869)
  • Belt status are: X 273 Y 254 (And tightened the screws of the shaft.)
  • XYZ cal. details: Left 10.94, Right:10.84 and Measured skew: 0.01
  • 0:0 point offset: X 0.33 Y 0.44
  • Mesh bed leveling settings: 7x7 Z-probe number:3 Magnets comp:ON
  • Bed level correction is OFF but i have tried that and it didn't fix the problem.

From looking at video which you post, my z value looks low but when i raise up  lines disappears interestingly.

This post was modified 4 years ago 3 times by Onur İnci
Posted : 26/02/2020 6:43 pm
Onur İnci
(@onur-inci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

I've tried another prusament with thinking maybe the problem is the filament but nothing has changed.  Still, i get inconsistent first layer through one calibration square. And I've reached Prusa customer service regarding this problem. I hope they can help me on this. 

Posted : 28/02/2020 7:10 pm
Share: