Notifications
Clear all

Squeaking noise extruder :/  

RSS
guillaume.d11
(@guillaume-d11)
Squeaking noise extruder :/

Hi,

I have the mk3 for a few days and I am very happy. The editing went well and my first impressions perfect. However, I noticed that my extruder was making a sound like a "squeak" especially when he made a retraction. My impressions are not impacted by this problem but my ears yes: /

I can not know the solution: /

Has anyone ever experienced this problem?

PS: sorry for my english

Posted : 11/11/2018 9:16 pm
desantes
(@desantes-2)
Re: Squeaking noise extruder :/

I got the Same issue.
Did you solved the problem?

Posted : 25/03/2019 9:43 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

Be sure the extruder idler gear is properly seated. Check for any resistance rolling it. What filament are you printing with? Some PETG can be a bit noisy.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 25/03/2019 9:53 pm
Wout
 Wout
(@wout)

I'm encountering a squeak, too. Usually not right away, and not consistently; it tends to start a few minutes into a print and seems somewhat related to retraction. Lots of small moves with retraction seem to get it going. It's a very "plasticky" squeak, as in, the word squeak is spot on.

Idler looks ok and the alignment seems alright, too. I've been playing with the tension, but it didn't make much of a difference. Still printing with the silver Prusa PLA that came with the kit.

I will continue trying to find out the exact source and will post should I find out. Meanwhile, any tips are welcome, of course.

Cheers

Posted : 04/04/2019 9:27 pm
Falko
(@falko)
RE: Squeaking noise extruder :/

Hi all, i do have the same issue: "plasticky" squeak out of the Extruder which starts quite a while after print started. Any help highly welcome.

Posted : 06/09/2019 6:22 pm
bobof
(@bobof)

I wonder if anyone got to the bottom of this - I've seem some posts about printing replacement extruder parts to make the filament path straighter through the extruder, but if that is really what is needed it seems ludicrous for the issue to have been there for so long.  I also have this squeak on my recently assembled mk3s.  Which side of the spool holder are you using?  It >seems< if I have my spool on the right side it makes less noise than the left, which does point at something to do with the extruder filament path.

Posted : 06/09/2019 6:45 pm
stephnjim01
(@stephnjim01)

It could be because even if you line up the gears the filament has to bend round a tiny bit to enter the hole. I noticed that when building it. Might be that. Not sure 

Posted : 06/09/2019 9:06 pm
Falko liked
SS24
 SS24
(@ss24)

I have recently built an MK3S kit.    I also experienced this squeak issue.    For me the cause was extruder gears contacting inside surface of gear housings.  Idler gear side was the worst but drive gear was also rubbing.    There should be more clearance designed into the housings, maybe prusa can make this revision.    You can see in first image that gear was wearing a pocket into the housing , eventually it would likely create a large enough groove on its own.  I  corrected the issue by trimming as much material off as i could using an exacto knife (i did not want to disassemble anything in order to remove the gears).  After trimming i blew out the chips with a can of keyboard cleaner air.    After this process the following print squeaked much less, and by the end of the next print squeak was entirely gone.  

I hope this can help 

Posted : 07/09/2019 1:46 pm
Vox
 Vox
(@vox)

Hey guys.  I got my printer about a month ago.  I've had it running without this issue pretty much full time since I got it put together :).  Today I changed filament from PETG to PLA and started a new print.  I have a feeling the sound I was dealing with is exactly what you all had.  I paused the print and unloaded the filament after checking all the axis screws and bearings.  This did the trick.  I pulled it quickly and for the first time a good amount of extra pla came out after the main portion.  I think it was in there messing with the gears.  I had loosened the housing around the gears before and that hadn't fixed it but it seems to have given enough room to get that extra gunk out.  Previously I had a small catch when changing filament and I think that is what caused the issue.  After the printer seemed to be printing without the noise again (Right after the change and gunk)  I did a cold pull before starting the print again and cleaned up everything else that might have built up in there after so many changes.  So basically change the filament a few times and keep pulling on the tiny bit of residue until something comes out... Or loosen the gear housing a bit and do a cold pull and get everything outta the path of the filament.  I hope this helps you cause it certainly helped me... didn't affect the print quality but might have over time but sure was a massive annoyance to the ears :).  Good luck all.

Posted : 27/06/2021 5:55 pm
Share: