Notifications
Clear all

Second layer problem  

RSS
Razaro
(@razaro)
Eminent Member
Second layer problem

So first layer as You can see looks ok for me but second layer is not stickingn I had this issue with standard batman logo gcode that was on sd with printer.

This was my stl and profile was ultra quality 0.05.

Any advise?

Posted : 08/12/2019 7:31 am
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member
RE: Second layer problem

I think you will need to give more information:

Filament

Nozzle

Bed and extruder temps

.05 is - small... Try it again at .15 Quality.

Posted : 08/12/2019 6:56 pm
Razaro
(@razaro)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@robert-rmm200

Sorry, my printer is bone stock freshly assembled. 

I have stock 0.4 nozzle and Orange Prusament. I used ultra quality profile that came with Prusa Slicer 0.5 and temps in this profile are set 215/60 i think.

I basically did not change anything beside choosing profile.

I also had same issue with batman logo gcode that came with printer, I belive it was set to 0.2 and same temps

Posted : 08/12/2019 7:09 pm
Razaro
(@razaro)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

To be exact I used these settings

And as I mentioned I had the same issue with test gcode file MK3S_PLA_Batman_200um_18M.gcode

Posted : 08/12/2019 8:47 pm
Razaro
(@razaro)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

So now I tried the same stl but with 0,15mm QUALITY MK3 profile and had the same results... btw printer is placed in closed enclosure.

I am trying to print mainly this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3271753

I hope that I am doing something wrong because if this is how MK3S printing looks like I am shipping it back, and fast 🙂

This post was modified 4 years ago by Razaro
Posted : 08/12/2019 9:19 pm
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member

Good luck shipping back an assembled kit. You will find plenty of examples on here of the excellent work the MK3S is capable of.

What is the temperature inside your enclosure during printing? Enclosures are great for PC or ABS - not so much for PLA or PETG. I would keep the door open...

I would start with trying a different filament. 

If it prints the same, post a picture of your first layer calibration square (or circle).

Start with this writeup:

https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk3s-mk3-assembly-and-first-prints-troubleshooting/life-adjust-z-my-way/

Posted : 08/12/2019 9:29 pm
Razaro
(@razaro)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @robert-rmm200

Good luck shipping back an assembled kit. You will find plenty of examples on here of the excellent work the MK3S is capable of.

What is the temperature inside your enclosure during printing? Enclosures are great for PC or ABS - not so much for PLA or PETG. I would keep the door open...

I would start with trying a different filament. 

If it prints the same, post a picture of your first layer calibration square (or circle).

Start with this writeup:

https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk3s-mk3-assembly-and-first-prints-troubleshooting/life-adjust-z-my-way/

I don`t see any problems with returning it - https://help.prusa3d.com/article/x6lxmh2nz1-packing-printer-for-return

As for print quality, I don`t want to start any fights here, I know what the machine is capable of but I think that people, at least I pay extra for Prusa to have sure and hassle free printing experience. So far as for assembly it was really smooth but this printing thing is a problem.

I wanted to avoid searching forums, tinkering  and troubleshooting with this printer but I will try in the evening calibrating first layer according to this guide although for me this look more like under-extrusion rather then first layer problem but i will give it a try. 

I will disregard comments about enclosure and changing filament - Ender 3 was printing in the same enclosure with cheap ass filament without problems when it was working 🙂

If someone have other suggestions, maybe settings I can change I am open for comments - I did calibration through wizard after assembly and that`s all I did.

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by Razaro
Posted : 09/12/2019 10:57 am
vintagepc
(@vintagepc)

You never mentioned material you are using. You just said "prusament orange" which could be PLA, PETG or ASA. Your image shows the PLA profile selected, which will likely give these results if you are actually using PETG from too low a temperature. 

I will disregard comments about enclosure and changing filament - Ender 3 was printing in the same enclosure with cheap ass filament without problems when it was working 🙂

If you're going to ignore diagnostic advice from the people here, why are you even posting for help? Just because something works on one setup does not make it a universal truth. You are basically making your own life harder by refusing to eliminate possible causes. If you are using PLA, the Mk3 design is such that you basically *will* have problems with PLA in an enclosure. 

Posted : 09/12/2019 6:22 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @b3-marek
You shouldn't. They are very different designs. The Ender 3 uses a Bowden extruder setup with the extruder located to the side of the printer. The Mk3 uses a direct drive with the extruder located atop the E3D V6 hotend. The E3D V6 is an air-cooled design rated to 40C. As the ambient temp increases, the efficiency of the air cooling drops, and heat increases. If temps are collectively hot around the extruder and there is poor air flow, PLA can soften prematurely in the extruder. Both designs will ultimately fail, but you're likely to see it sooner on the Mk3.

Of course, sprinting PETG at PLA temps will be... problematic. 

Suggest opening the enclosure doors and verifying you've used the correct filament profile. 
My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 09/12/2019 10:08 pm
Razaro
(@razaro)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

I guess I indeed did not clarify that I am printing with Orange Prusament PLA that was included with the printer.

With printer moved out of enclosure I am getting similar results. First layer is set to -1150 and it sticks really well but the second layer has some strings that are getting up and does not stick although this time not so many as before.

I also had readjusted PINDA and had run Wizard calibration again.

Below are my squares - currently -1150

Posted : 09/12/2019 11:31 pm
Razaro
(@razaro)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

I meant not so many lines of the second layer  are not sticking to the first layer as before 

Posted : 09/12/2019 11:47 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

Those pics look pretty good, certainly compared to your first batch. You could try reducing the cooling fan after the 1st layer as a quick test. Normally, the basic profile settings are good for PLA.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 10/12/2019 3:04 am
Razaro
(@razaro)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Ok so this is how a bigger print looks like, how will you call those imperfections? It also brake in hands as You can see.

I guess it is time to start new thread in print problems?

This post was modified 4 years ago by Razaro
Posted : 11/12/2019 6:42 am
spuder
(@spuder)

This is exactly what my print does when I mistakenly slice with PLA and use PETG filament. The first layer prints ok, but the second layer has a hard time sticking. For anyone else experiencing this, make sure you are slicing with the correct filament type. 

Posted : 17/05/2020 4:57 am
sasha
(@sasha-2)

@spencer-o2

Pretty sure the fillament that comes with the printer is in fact pet?

Posted : 21/06/2020 2:59 pm
Walleye
(@walleye)
Trusted Member

Hi,

Mine was a grey and sparkly PLA filament.

I would check the slicer settings to be sure of proper values, and maybe try a different spool of filament if one is handly.

Posted : 22/06/2020 1:22 pm
Joe Crozier
(@joe-crozier)

@spencer-o2

Literally decided to make my first post just to thank you for this.  Was having trouble getting second layer to stick to first and kept looking at all this tiny variables.  "Should I slow it down? Change the temp? some weird other setting?"

After reading your comment I was like... "wait, the stuff I think is PLA and sliced with PLA settings really is PLA right?  Turns out I had the PETG roll on.  I feel dumb.

Posted : 05/02/2021 7:10 pm
Share: