Sample files from SD stop printing randomly at different points in the job... no error

Notifications
Clear all

Sample files from SD stop printing randomly at different points in the job... no error  

RSS
Ropal
(@ropal)

Just unboxed my brand new (fully assembled) MK3S.  I've tried a few of the prints on the SD card (whistle and dog).  One whistle print went to the end successfully, but four other attempts randomly stopped at different points during the print.  No errors and heat turns off, screen says "Prusa i3 MK3S OK"

Z height reads "Z 0.15?"
Progress of printing sows "---%"
Remaining time estimation shows "--:--"

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Posted : 28/10/2020 4:03 pm
GKMAKEIT
(@gkmakeit)
Estimable Member
RE: Sample files from SD stop printing randomly at different points in the job... no error

I had a similar problem, but I didn't have issues for a few months. After removing and inserting the SD card a bunch of times it made the fitment loose. Sometimes I would have to remove and insert multiple time before the printer recognized  the card was inserted. Also had prints randomly stop because the card would I guess vibrate loose.

Have you tried printing something that wasn't load on the SD card that came with the printer, also try a better quality SD card like a sandisk.

Posted : 28/10/2020 4:28 pm
Ropal
(@ropal)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Sample files from SD stop printing randomly at different points in the job... no error

Thanks for the input!

My next step was to copy the files to a new Sandisk SD card.  I wasn't sure if the SD card could even cause this type of print failure, so I though I'd post the issue here, hoping the circumstances were so specific that someone may recognize the situation and have an immediate answer.

Intermittent problems are the worst... it's so hard to confirm you actually fixed the issue and the planets just didn't happen to line up!

Posted : 28/10/2020 9:14 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

How high off the bed is the extruder when it says Z=0.15?

Posted : 28/10/2020 9:19 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @ropal

[...] Intermittent problems are the worst... it's so hard to confirm you actually fixed the issue and the planets just didn't happen to line up!

I also had an SD slot failure. Prusa shipped a replacement LCD panel that fixed the problem and I use an extender slot now to save wear & tear (along with OctoPrint).

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 28/10/2020 9:26 pm
Ropal
(@ropal)
Topic starter answered:

@tim-m30

One time it was only a few layers into the print (less than 1mm) and another time it was at least 25mm above the bed (same file from the same SD card!).  It stopped in place with the nozzle against the part with the values on the screen that I noted in my original post.

Posted : 28/10/2020 9:44 pm
Ropal
(@ropal)
Topic starter answered:

OK... captured an incident on video.

Printer freezes, no changes on the screen... everything sits "frozen" for 5 seconds, then screen quickly goes blank for a fraction of a second, then shows the "Original Prusa i3 Prusa Research" startup screen then "Sorting files" with the progress bar, then the typical parameter screen.

This was after adding the sample files to a new Sandisk SD card that I know works well.

Posted : 29/10/2020 1:22 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a bad reader. Contact Prusa Support via chat and explain what's happening. Since you bought the printer assembled: it should work out of the box.

In the mean time... and as a sanity check, you might try inserting the SD card and ensuring it is fully inserted to the stop.  Finesse, not force.  The angle is weird and the card fragile, and I've been known to not get the card seated. The entire SD slot on the Nk3 is a weak link, imo, and there are user fixes to brace the metal work that is a common fail theme (metal bends and doesn't hold the card tight to the contacts). 

Posted : 29/10/2020 2:16 pm
Share: