Printer Crash During Build - Y-axis will not pass self test - New MK3S Kit w/ no previous issues

Notifications
Clear all

Printer Crash During Build - Y-axis will not pass self test - New MK3S Kit w/ no previous issues  

RSS
Andy Ruth
(@andy-ruth)

Hello,

I have assembled my printer within the last few days and printed a couple test parts (PRUSA logo, Batman, etc.) and I printed a couple sets of US Covid 19 faceshield head bands. Last night I started another print and it crashed about 1 hour into the build. This was my first time running one of the "stacked" 4 piece headband files that is available to users. 

My Y axis crashed and I cannot get it back to normal even after several resets/reboots. I attempted the self test again and it will not pass. It vibrates and makes loud noises at certain points in the Y-axis travel. I hear it both when trying to manually jog and self test. I cannot figure this out can someone please help? Do I need to recalibrate or does this sound like a defective stepper or component. FYI, the belt is still tight just like during initial assembly/set up and first several test runs. This issue seemed to pop up out of nowhere. 

Posted : 10/05/2020 8:02 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
RE: Printer Crash During Build - Y-axis will not pass self test - New MK3S Kit w/ no previous issues

Hi Andrew 

did you lubricate your Linear bearings on assembly ?(YES I know what the manual says)

Could you try doing this now please  

https://help.prusa3d.com/en/article/i3-printers-regular-maintenance_2072#rods-and-bearings

then have another go! 

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 10/05/2020 8:12 pm
Andy Ruth
(@andy-ruth)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Printer Crash During Build - Y-axis will not pass self test - New MK3S Kit w/ no previous issues

@joantabb

No I did not so I guess I know what I am doing today 🙂 I will disassemble and lube the bearings per the instructions. Hopefully, that fixes it. Thanks! 

Posted : 10/05/2020 8:35 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Hi, Andrew,

have you tried the wiping Lube on the smooth rods approach, first, it may confirm or deny my thoughts before you go for a full rip down...

Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 10/05/2020 10:49 pm
Andy Ruth
(@andy-ruth)
Topic starter answered:

I disassembled the linear bearings and one of the bearings was binding so I applied grease into all 3 bearings. The difference is noticeable and I reassembled and calibrated, that issues is now resolved but......now I am having issues with my PETG sticking to the build plate! I have adjusted the z-height back and forth and the first layer calibrations goes well but when I run the PRUSA logo, all the filament globs up early in the process and wont stick to the plate. I am currently struggling with this. I have unloaded/reloaded the PETG filament and with the correct settings but no luck. Any ideas? 

Posted : 11/05/2020 2:18 am
Andrew
(@andrew-5)
Estimable Member

I would bet on the bed being "contaminated". Wash and scrub with non abrasive pan sponge and hot soapy water (don't use the old one from the sink get a new clean pad). Dry well then IPA it and it should be fine. Shout out for Joantabb who told me.

Andrew

Posted : 25/05/2020 3:04 pm
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member

With the Y axis, be really careful to not tighten the "UBolts of Death" too tight.

They can deform the bearing and cause binding.

Posted : 27/05/2020 4:58 am
Share: