PLA building up around nozzle/sticking to nozzle, ruining all prints

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] PLA building up around nozzle/sticking to nozzle, ruining all prints  

RSS
Mschenk903
(@mschenk903)
PLA building up around nozzle/sticking to nozzle, ruining all prints

So my first couple of prints have been perfect!

I tried printing with a different material (Taulman Alloy 910 Natural Filament) and had nothing but issues, so went back to PLA that i'd been using and now this is happening (see pics). I'm not sure what to do or what is causing this issue?? Thank you for any advice!

Posted : 13/09/2020 9:23 pm
Mschenk903
(@mschenk903)
Topic starter answered:
RE: PLA building up around nozzle/sticking to nozzle, ruining all prints

I think I found a solution

https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk3s-mk3-assembly-and-first-prints-troubleshooting/story-of-a-beginner-who-cant-print-without-failure-curling-filament-gets-on-my-nozzle-100-of-the-time/

I had been cleaning the bed with alcohol, but honestly had no issues before. But in the above forum discussion, it was said to use soap/water and not alcohol, so I tried that. So far, so good on the first layer!

Posted : 13/09/2020 9:42 pm
Rain426
(@rain426)

Thats very interesting, thanks for sharing your solution! I am having a similar issue on my current printer whilst I wait for my Prusa to arrive. I will give soap and water a try later!

Posted : 14/09/2020 10:34 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @rainaer_rahl

Thats very interesting, thanks for sharing your solution! I am having a similar issue on my current printer whilst I wait for my Prusa to arrive. I will give soap and water a try later!

I have found that dish soap and water also work well on UltraBase glass and Garolite as well. I try to avoid the temptation of adding more stuff to the bed when the basic print surface adheres well.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 14/09/2020 1:44 pm
Share: