Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Mabye issue with Layer height?  

RSS
lingyin
(@lingyin)
Mabye issue with Layer height?

I have this problem where my lines are really messy for the first layer and the print would always get dragged away by the print head on the second layer. What could be the problem? I need this ASAP for my school project!

Best Answer by _FirstLayer:

There can be more than one reason. Assuming you are using a Prusa printer, the easiest to try is to clean your sheet with IPA (91+%) to make sure you get good bed adhesion.

Second to check is the first layer calibration. See Prusa Knowlegde Base article: First Layer CalibrationJeff Jordan also  has some excellent posts about this subject: Life adjust z my way. For me, with Jeff's way, it was easier to find the right value for the live-z adjustment.

Posted : 03/03/2021 4:47 am
_FirstLayer
(@_firstlayer)
Eminent Member
RE: Mabye issue with Layer height?

There can be more than one reason. Assuming you are using a Prusa printer, the easiest to try is to clean your sheet with IPA (91+%) to make sure you get good bed adhesion.

Second to check is the first layer calibration. See Prusa Knowlegde Base article: First Layer CalibrationJeff Jordan also  has some excellent posts about this subject: Life adjust z my way. For me, with Jeff's way, it was easier to find the right value for the live-z adjustment.

Posted : 03/03/2021 7:59 am
lingyin liked
Peter M
(@peter-m)
Noble Member

1. Clean bed with dish soap.

2. First layer calibration.

Both are needed to print.

After you do this, let us see a picture.

Posted : 03/03/2021 9:25 am
lingyin liked
Dan Rogers
(@dan-rogers)
Noble Member

And dont forget that calibration is one thing (gets you somewhat close).  Use the Live-Z adjust feature to tune for the print, bed, filament differences.  You can adjust as the layer goes down so you can see the results.  More negative means closer.  

Posted : 03/03/2021 4:12 pm
lingyin
(@lingyin)
Topic starter answered:

@peter-m-3

Is it fine if I clean it with an alcohol cloth? 

Posted : 04/03/2021 1:44 am
_FirstLayer
(@_firstlayer)
Eminent Member

@lingyin

I use a paper towel with isopropyl alcohol (IPA) 91%. Wait until the bed is cool, then apply the IPA to a dry cloth or paper towel and wipe the surface. The results with off the shelf alcohol wipes are mixed as the amount of alcohol on the wipes varies.

Posted : 05/03/2021 3:17 pm
lingyin liked
Peter M
(@peter-m)
Noble Member

@lingyin

Yes and no, to clean with alcohol you need a lot of alcohol . And if you use a paper towel, use a new one every time.

After a few print you need to clean with dish soap(use a lot of hot water and clean a few times), this cleans all dirt off your bed, alcohol does not.

If you only use alcohol, after a longer time dirt will be sticking to the bed, and only dish soap will clean.

i normally work with cleaning with alcohol, and use a lot of alcohol and a new paper towel. After a few prints I clean with dish soap.

Difficult prints I always clean with dish soap. Difficult I mean, prints that need maximum adhesion.

Posted : 06/03/2021 8:14 am
lingyin
(@lingyin)
Topic starter answered:

@peter-m

Thanks for the tip, is there anything I need to look for when choosing a type of dish soap?

Posted : 06/03/2021 11:53 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

@lingyin

Simple Dish soap / detergent  is all you need, 
In the USA, Dawn is commonly available 
In the UK, Fairy Liquid is commonly available, 
Doesn't need to be anything expensive... 
regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 06/03/2021 12:22 pm
lingyin
(@lingyin)
Topic starter answered:

@joantabb

Thanks!

Posted : 06/03/2021 1:06 pm
Share: