Notifications
Clear all

Is my heatbed too hot for this filament?  

RSS
Infiltrator
(@infiltrator)
Eminent Member
Is my heatbed too hot for this filament?

I have a foot on the bottom of my print.  I will be able to cut it off so it's not too big of an issue, but I would like to know how to avoid it for my next prints.

I'm printing out FormFutura rPET at a bed temperature of 85. 

If it's not bed temperature, what else could I do to tune it out?

Best Answer by Neophyl:

Yes, the prusa slicer values moves it inwards for the value you set.  So 0.1 will move all the external perimeters on the first layer in by 0.1mm

Most (if not all) slicer have some form of the same setting, some of them use a -0.1 to move inwards and a 0.1 to move the perimeter outwards which to me makes more sense but that's not the way PS does it lol.  Just set it to a value that works to remove the foot but the lowest value you can, so 'just enough'.  An excessive value can cause issues, like thin traces disappearing completely or causing the second layer outer perimeter to actually be classed as an overhang as there is no perimeter below it

This topic was modified 3 years ago by Infiltrator
Posted : 29/10/2020 4:50 am
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member
RE: Is my heatbed too hot for this filament?

It’s called an ‘elephants foot’. It’s normally a side effect of the squish we use to ensure adhesion. If your adhesion is good you can maybe back off the z offset slightly. 
The easiest thing though is to check and use the elephants foot compensation in Prusa Slicer. This prints the first layer smaller slightly which stops it doing that. The current default Prusa profiles have it set to 0.2 normally which for my setup is too much so I have mine set to 0.1 instead.  It’s one of the advanced/expert settings so you have to be out of basic mode to see it. 

I would check what yours is set to. The idea is to balance out the squish with the setting. Obviously without ruining your first layer or bed adhesion. 

Posted : 29/10/2020 6:10 am
Infiltrator
(@infiltrator)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@neophyl

That's probably it.  I had turned off elephants foot (set it to zero) because I thought it put the foot in.  If I put it to 0.1 or back to 0.2 would that shrink it? 

Posted : 29/10/2020 7:59 am
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

Yes, the prusa slicer values moves it inwards for the value you set.  So 0.1 will move all the external perimeters on the first layer in by 0.1mm

Most (if not all) slicer have some form of the same setting, some of them use a -0.1 to move inwards and a 0.1 to move the perimeter outwards which to me makes more sense but that's not the way PS does it lol.  Just set it to a value that works to remove the foot but the lowest value you can, so 'just enough'.  An excessive value can cause issues, like thin traces disappearing completely or causing the second layer outer perimeter to actually be classed as an overhang as there is no perimeter below it

Posted : 29/10/2020 8:10 am
Share: