Notifications
Clear all

Hot end spins in mk3s upgrade extruder assembly  

RSS
Titan
(@titan-2)
Estimable Member
Hot end spins in mk3s upgrade extruder assembly

I just performed the upgrade to my mk3 to make it a mk3s. During assembly I was surprised to notice that the cylindrical hot end just sat sandwiched between two parts of the lower extruder body, but I assumed the screws would sandwich it so tight it wouldn't be able to move.

I secured every fixing correctly and did every screw up tightly but after I'd finished and the extruder was built and installed I noticed the cylindrical hot end spins inside the body. It doesn't spin freely (it requires a little pressure) and the heat cartridge and thermistor wires cable tied to the cable holder should help prevent movement, but I worry vibration could affect the position of the hot end, which in turn will affect the position of the nozzle. And if the nozzle rotates during prints it'll obviously affect or  ruin the printed model.

I was surprised not to find any other mentions of this after a Google search and just wondered if anyone here had noticed it when building their mk3s?

Posted : 09/02/2020 11:45 pm
Halt
 Halt
(@halt)
RE: Hot end spins in mk3s upgrade extruder assembly

I haven't noticed this on mine. Frankly am afraid to try it now 😀 Been tuning this thing up for a week now, still don't trust it as I did trust my MK2, but I sure love it more.

Posted : 13/02/2020 7:43 pm
Titan
(@titan-2)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

@martincohen

I've performed a few prints of models ranging between 2-4cm in height since upgrading the mk3 to mk3s and I haven't noticed any movement of the hotend, which is a relief. Whilst I can still spin the e3d hotend if I grab the heat block between finger and thumb and place a little pressure  on it, it doesn't seem to move during prints. The heater cartridge cables that are cable tied in position coupled with the extruder body seemingly gripping the hotend just tight enough appear to keep the nozzle in place. 🙂 

Glad you're enjoying your mk3s, especially after moving from the also excellent mk2. Hope it keeps on impressing. 

Posted : 14/02/2020 2:42 am
Halt
 Halt
(@halt)

@nathan-b20

I think the hotend is supposed to turn to allow the nozzle to be removed...

Yeah, it keeps impressing, although since it's soo silent I hear every little squeak and am compelled to fix it. 😀

Posted : 14/02/2020 9:17 am
Share: