Notifications
Clear all

Heat bed keeps disconnecting  

RSS
AndiBandi
(@andibandi)
Heat bed keeps disconnecting

Hi!

For a couple weeks after building my MK3S it was printing fine, no errors, but then min temp bed error came up. I assumed it was because the room it's in was too cold, I live in Maine so I wasn't too surprised. I then realized that there was a problem with the wiring because it wasn't reading any temperature at all. I removed the plastic coverings over the wires at the back of the heat bed, loosed them, and then tightened them back up and it started working again. I was trying to recalibrate the XYZ when min temp bed error came up again and the temp reading on the bed cut out. I pushed the heat bed backward and the error was fixed. So if I pull the heat bed towards myself, around halfway the temp cuts out but will be fixed if I push it back. I believe it's a problem with one of the wires coming from the heat bed, that one or more is being crunched in the plastic pieces they are secured in, but I'm not sure how to fix this. My dad suggested not threading all the wires through the printed pieces and rather have the black wire that comes from under the heat bed simply be zip tied to the others outside of the printed pieces rather than squished inside. That black wire also had a bit of a divet in it from being crammed in those printed pieces.

I'm at a bit of a loss on what to do now.

Posted : 18/12/2020 12:48 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
RE: Heat bed keeps disconnecting

Sounds like the thermistor cable is damaged. I'd log into the online store and connect with support via online chat. They're very responsive and you might be under warranty. If nothing else, they can help you pinpoint the issue.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 18/12/2020 1:28 am
AndiBandi liked
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member
RE: Heat bed keeps disconnecting
Posted by: @andibandi

Hi!

For a couple weeks after building my MK3S it was printing fine, no errors, but then min temp bed error came up. I assumed it was because the room it's in was too cold, I live in Maine so I wasn't too surprised. I then realized that there was a problem with the wiring because it wasn't reading any temperature at all. I removed the plastic coverings over the wires at the back of the heat bed, loosed them, and then tightened them back up and it started working again. I was trying to recalibrate the XYZ when min temp bed error came up again and the temp reading on the bed cut out. I pushed the heat bed backward and the error was fixed. So if I pull the heat bed towards myself, around halfway the temp cuts out but will be fixed if I push it back. I believe it's a problem with one of the wires coming from the heat bed, that one or more is being crunched in the plastic pieces they are secured in, but I'm not sure how to fix this. My dad suggested not threading all the wires through the printed pieces and rather have the black wire that comes from under the heat bed simply be zip tied to the others outside of the printed pieces rather than squished inside. That black wire also had a bit of a divet in it from being crammed in those printed pieces.

I'm at a bit of a loss on what to do now.

You probably have a pinched thermistor cable. This is typically associated with temperature fluctuations when moving the print bed. You can either install a new thermistor or solder a flexible silicone cable in the moving area.
When repairing the thermistor, I would also check the voltage leads (24V) for cracks, corrosion and check for tight fit.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 18/12/2020 1:34 pm
AndiBandi liked
Share: