Getting bulge/ridge when printing large flat areas that are walled in

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
FredG3
(@fredg3)

I'm getting a weird bulge when I print objects that have a large flat area that's enclosed by walls. I'm printing this object from Thingiverse. Specifically the right landing pad. I've noticed this problem with other similar objects (i.e., flat area enclosed by walls), but assumed it was just a fluke at the time. Clearly there's a systemic issue. Here are some images of the issue:

This front view shows the bulge at the side.

A first and second close up of the bulge from the front end.

A side view of the front showing how a notch that should be perpendicular is at an angle because of it.

A side view showing the bulge through a grill like component.

A first, second, and third view of the back.

Some general info:

• Prusa i3 MK3 w/ 3.5.0 firmware (happened with an earlier version as well)

• Inland PLA+ Filament

• 220C hotend temp and 70C bed temp (the problem still happened at 205/60 also)

• 0.20mm layer height

• 20% infill (cubic pattern)

• 2 perimeter shells
  • Looking at the slicer info the bulge appears to start around layer 17.80 and I'm getting the bulge even where the flat infill isn't touching the outer perimeter.

• Layer 17.60

• Layer 17.80

• Layer 18.00

• Layer 18.20

• Layer 18.40
  • Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue? I can provide any more info that you might need. Thanks in advance!

Posted : 31/01/2019 7:49 pm
    Chocki
    (@chocki)
    Prominent Member
    Re: Getting bulge/ridge when printing large flat areas that are walled in

What settings do you have for print settings, Advanced - Extrusion Widths, because your first layer also looks like it is over extruding and sticking out which is also a solid infill.

Normal people believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet.

Posted : 31/01/2019 8:58 pm
    FredG3
    (@fredg3)
    Topic starter answered:

EDIT: I may have a little bit of elephant's foot going on since I increased the bed temp (to 70C) and made sure the Live-Z was nice and low, because in the past when I printed a big object like this it started to lift towards the end causing the hotend to plow into the print >_<

Posted : 31/01/2019 9:11 pm
    Chocki
    (@chocki)
    Prominent Member

Settings look as they should, and you don't want to be altering them yet, although you may be able to reduce this issue with them by altering your solid infill down to 0.4, but there has to be another reason first.
    Have you checked your extruder calibration?, Use pronterface, you will see extrude length, set the speed to 500 not the default 1000 and the length to 10cm. Mark the filament at 1cm and 11 cm from the top of the extruder cover, when at temperature, extrude the 10cm and you should have exactly 1 cm left above the cover.

Normal people believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet.

Posted : 31/01/2019 9:31 pm
    Holger
    (@holger-2)
    Honorable Member

Did you ever try another slicer? Cura or Simplify3D. Slicer are different. 😉

Greetings

2x Personal MK3IR-BMG09 (Full) BEAR + MMU3 mod., ...

Posted : 01/02/2019 11:04 pm
    shrx4me
    (@shrx4me)

I am getting a similar problem. If the model is smaller it doesn't do it. I have used Slic3r and Simpifly3D and both recreated the problem.

Posted : 25/02/2019 7:53 am
    RickM
    (@rickm-2)
    Trusted Member

I am having the exact same problem. On close examination it appears in my case that every other layer has a tiny shift at any point. Say layer 10 starts printing in the left front corner. It will be a little wider or further out relative to layers 9 and 11, but as layer 10 moves towards the right front corner it moves back into the correct position (appearances wise) Meanwhile layer 9 (and 11) will be too wide in the right front corner but OK in the left front corner. The whole appearance is that of a line across the face of the object for the last few levels of a solid "shelf".

I printed some test objects with lots of different settings, but the only one where it did not exhibit this behavior was when I printed it with 0 solid top layers (see pic)

As with OP this occurs even where the solid infill is NOT touching the outer perimeter.

I hope someone can figure this out! 🙂

Posted : 01/03/2019 5:17 am
    RickM
    (@rickm-2)
    Trusted Member

I too have replicated the problem with multiple slicers. Slic3r and curaengine.

Posted : 01/03/2019 9:48 pm
    Armchair Engineer
    (@armchair-engineer)

I have the exact same problem while printing large flat areas. It happens exactly at the same height. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted : 08/03/2019 11:54 am
    ryan.v9
    (@ryan-v9)

Out of curiousity, did this ever get solved? I'm having the same issue.

Posted : 12/03/2019 10:00 pm
    Armchair Engineer
    (@armchair-engineer)

Not that I know of.

Posted : 14/03/2019 10:58 pm
    bobstro
    (@bobstro)
    Illustrious Member

Not that I know of.

There is a very similar discussion going on in this thread.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
    He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 14/03/2019 11:14 pm
    TD
     TD
    (@td)
    RE: Getting bulge/ridge when printing large flat areas that are walled in

I am new to this fight, I am having the same problem printing Prusa files that came in the SD card, so I don’t believe this is a slicer issue. It has to be bearings, rods, or something else with the hardware. 

Posted : 15/01/2023 9:24 am
    Share: