Notifications
Clear all

[First print mess (MK3_PLA_Prusa200um)]  

RSS
ash2017
(@ash2017)
[First print mess (MK3_PLA_Prusa200um)]

Hi, we just received a poly pack brand new i3MK3s prusa printer and assembled it successfully while following up the instructions guide lines as mentioned. Calibrated all the axis well and confirmed ready to print.

I tried first print gcode file in provided SD card "MK3_PLA_Prusa200um" mentioned in the "video for new user", but all in vain 🙁

there was a big blob and attached to filament, doesnt stick with steel plate at all. 🙁

Didnt understand why this happened, Is there any settings I need to set OR it takes default setting when the gcode loads to the printer?

Please suggest me the better solution, so that i can move forward with my work.

Thanks n Regards,

/Ash

Posted : 07/10/2019 1:13 am
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member
RE: [First print mess (MK3_PLA_Prusa200um)]

Did you do a layer 1 calibration per the user manual?  If not, the printer generally prints a layer that doesn't stick to the bed and ends up a blob on the nozzle.

And, what kind of sheet do you have: Smooth or Textured?

This post was modified 5 years ago by --
Posted : 08/10/2019 6:49 am
Lichtjaeger
(@lichtjaeger)
Noble Member

Not mentioned in the video: Wash the steel plate with soap and water before first use and do not touch the print area with bare hands.

Posted : 08/10/2019 7:14 am
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

Yes - a definite place for more info.  The power coated or textured plate must be washed with soap and water and dried thoroughly before PLA will stick to it.   The smooth sheet is normally okay, but it also helps to wash it.  Alcohol can work, but soap and water does a far better job and doesn't risk moving oils from your fingers to the bed when wiping off the alcohol.

Here's my cheat sheet for cleaning.

Hot Water wash: often, as needed, and after any of the following
              (not recommended for daily use on Powder Coated sheets)

• Handle the bed only by the edges.
  • Wash the bed in hot water, use a fresh paper towel as a wash cloth, with a few drops of plain dish soap (Dawn, unscented, no anti-bacterial, etc.).
  • Rinse well in hot water - if you have very soft water, rinse a bit longer.
  • Dry the bed with a fresh paper towel.
  • Handle the bed only by the edges.
  • Place bed on printer.

Alcohol wash: every few prints as needed

• Gloves recommended.
  • Once in a while, an alcohol rinse is helpful to remove PLA residue. It does not remove finger oils well.
  • Pour a 5 cm puddle of 91%+ alcohol in the middle of the bed, with clean hands use a fresh paper towel to scrub the bed. Wipe up all the alcohol.

Acetone wash: infrequent as needed
              (Not recommended for USE on Powder Coated sheets, but some find it necessary)

• Pour a 2 cm puddle of acetone on the bed, scrub it around with a fresh paper towel. It will evaporate fast as you clean. This step removes PEI oxides that form over time and with heat, and improves PLA adhesion to a like new state.

Streak test: when contamination is suspected

• With a fresh piece of paper towel, and very clean fingers, dampen the towel with 91%+ alcohol, and wipe the bed side to side moving back to front, like you're painting it with alcohol. The alcohol should be thin enough on the towel it quickly evaporates from the bed. If you see any streaks, the bed is dirty and needs a wash.

Posted : 08/10/2019 9:05 am
Share: