Clear all

First print help needed  

RSS
Kasem427
(@kasem427)
First print help needed

Hi all, 

Just got my printer up and running.

I ran the preflight checks and done 3 recalibrations after tweaking each axis. It passes each time but this is the last two prints and I still see layer shifting and under and over extrusion.

Now it is pretty consistent in terms of the left side of the print being pretty even while the right is shifted.

Also I've done a live z calibration when doing the prusa and I'm around -0.975 which worked better and flow is back at default 95, I had upped this to 100 per a colleague's recommendation for the underextrusion I had shown in printing the batman symbol from the SD card.

I made an album for those that can help it will be really appreciated so I can to atleast basic printing level.

https://imgur.com/a/NPh0rVY

Best Answer by --:

Loose drive gear or sloppy loose belts.

Flat First: Drive gears must be tightened flat-first.

1)   Start with both set screws fully loosened so the pulley is free to spin on the motor shaft.

2)   Align one set screw dead center with the flat on the motor shaft, slowly tighten the screw until it fully contacts the flat surface.

3)   Torque the flat set screw to spec.

4)   Now tighten the jam set screw, and torque it to spec.

Once tightened, never touch the flat set screw unless the jam screw is first fully loosened.

Why Flat First? Set screws have flat ends. If you tighten the jam screw first the set screw on the shaft flat doesn't fully contact the shaft, only one small edge of the screw surface is biting. Reversing torques can easily shift the shaft to a position the flat screw no longer contacts the shaft. This lets the jam screw wriggle loose. And after a while, vibration loosens the screws until the gear is free to rotate.

Posted : 07/09/2019 7:50 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member
RE: First print help needed

Loose drive gear or sloppy loose belts.

Flat First: Drive gears must be tightened flat-first.

1)   Start with both set screws fully loosened so the pulley is free to spin on the motor shaft.

2)   Align one set screw dead center with the flat on the motor shaft, slowly tighten the screw until it fully contacts the flat surface.

3)   Torque the flat set screw to spec.

4)   Now tighten the jam set screw, and torque it to spec.

Once tightened, never touch the flat set screw unless the jam screw is first fully loosened.

Why Flat First? Set screws have flat ends. If you tighten the jam screw first the set screw on the shaft flat doesn't fully contact the shaft, only one small edge of the screw surface is biting. Reversing torques can easily shift the shaft to a position the flat screw no longer contacts the shaft. This lets the jam screw wriggle loose. And after a while, vibration loosens the screws until the gear is free to rotate.

Posted : 08/09/2019 2:29 am
Kasem427 liked
Kasem427
(@kasem427)
Topic starter answered:
RE: First print help needed

Yea so I actually did this right after I made this post when I was thinking about what could have been wrong.

Both gears were loose for the x and y axis and tightening those mini screws was the exact answer.

Printed the benchy perfectly now.

So excited for my next prints! 

Also quite amazed you got that same answer from my description, so glad this community has the knowledge to share that really works.

Happy printing and thanks again!

Posted : 08/09/2019 6:55 pm
Share: