Notifications
Clear all

Extruder idler weird sound  

RSS
Archetrico
(@archetrico)
Extruder idler weird sound

Hi, I have a prusa  mk3s and I have been getting some weird sound from the extruder/filament feeder, I tryed to make the idler screw less tight but then it is not extruding properly, the sound stops tought... if I tight it too much it is making it louder. I dont get consistency.

Do you know know what can be causing this? It is happening no matter which filament or brand.

Attachment removed
This topic was modified 4 years ago 2 times by Archetrico
Posted : 19/01/2020 2:09 pm
Bountylus
(@bountylus)
RE: Extruder idler weird sound

So since when do you have the printer and since when do you have this problem ?

Posted : 19/01/2020 2:17 pm
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member

Unload the filament and look at it.

If chunks are chewed out, you have a nozzle restriction or your temp is too low. Filament is not flowing.

If you see teeth marks, the tension is correct and your nozzle is not clogged. Check the grub screws at the motor and make sure they are not slipping.

If you see no teeth marks, your tension is too low or the Bondtech is slipping. Again, check the grub screws.

My bet, with total lack of information - you have debris in your nozzle. Try cold pulls and / or cleaning filament.

Posted : 19/01/2020 5:09 pm
Archetrico
(@archetrico)
Topic starter answered:

@bounty

I have the printer since May last year and this problem has happened for the last month or so.

Posted : 19/01/2020 6:29 pm
Archetrico
(@archetrico)
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @robert-rmm200

Unload the filament and look at it.

If chunks are chewed out, you have a nozzle restriction or your temp is too low. Filament is not flowing.

I think its not the case.

If you see teeth marks, the tension is correct and your nozzle is not clogged. Check the grub screws at the motor and make sure they are not slipping.

I see teeth marks but I am not sure if it should be more obvious marks, right now I barely see lines.

If you see no teeth marks, your tension is too low or the Bondtech is slipping. Again, check the grub screws.

I checked the grub screws and it doesn't look to be slipping, even when the noise is coming i see it moving fluently. So my guess right now is that the tension is too low, Could you share a picture of how the filament should look like when its pulled out if everything is correct?

My bet, with total lack of information - you have debris in your nozzle. Try cold pulls and / or cleaning filament.

Indeed that was my first thought. I have been making cold pulls one after another and all of them come out completelly clean, maybe I should try cleaning filament.

This post was modified 4 years ago by Archetrico
Posted : 19/01/2020 6:33 pm
Bountylus
(@bountylus)

Eventually your Bondtech gears are dirty they start to slip then and you increase the tension as a result. Second thing reverse the spring from the extruder sometimes this helps.

Posted : 19/01/2020 7:29 pm
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member

Measure the blob on the end. If it is 2mm - you have hot end creep.

If you have an enclosure - keep the door open.

Search for other posts on hot end creep...

Worst case is a new E3D hot end assembly, without the Prusa MMU bulge.

Posted : 19/01/2020 8:07 pm
Archetrico
(@archetrico)
Topic starter answered:

@robert-rmm200

It is around 2mm but, Really? hot end creep? I do not feel any problem on extrusions, everything seems ok, just the sound is baffling.

Posted : 20/01/2020 8:35 am
Archetrico
(@archetrico)
Topic starter answered:

Hi guys, I have discovered something weird, it is not the extruder idler making the noise, its the x axis when moving from left to right at a not so slow not so high speed.

https://forum.prusa3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/01_noise.mp4

I completelly unloaded the filament and moved the axis at a high speed and I dont get that noise. Just as I slow down I get it, and also just when moving from left to right

https://forum.prusa3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/02_fast_slow.mp4

What can be possible causing such noise? is it the belt? If its so why just in that direction at that speed?

I recorded also a video from the back:

https://forum.prusa3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/03_from-the-back.mp4

Posted : 20/01/2020 8:45 am
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member

Turn off the power and move the extruder by hand. It should feel equally smooth both directions.

Any roughness needs to be dealt with.

Posted : 20/01/2020 5:02 pm
Share: