Notifications
Clear all

Bed Adhesion Problems  

RSS
dcoombs04
(@dcoombs04)
Bed Adhesion Problems

I am having trouble with getting any filament to stick to my bed, I have readjusted the Z, re run the first layer calibration, cleaned the bed with soap and water, rubbing alcohol, and acetone. I have even used glue and it still won’t stick. Tried all my rolls of filament and even contacted Prusa via their live chat, the gentleman said to do Live Adjust z which I did and still didn’t work

Posted : 18/01/2021 3:13 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
RE: Bed Adhesion Problems

Have you tried hairspray?  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 18/01/2021 3:49 am
Peter M
(@peter-m)
Noble Member

Only clean with dish soap, if you use a lot of hot water, more clean is not possible. Actone destroys the bed!

Make a picture of your first layer, and let us see.

Wen I get problems with first layer I do:

Print  several squares, so you can make several first layers.

Start the z to high, and lower it for every square, and look for a good one.

You need to press the filament a little in the bed.

Posted : 18/01/2021 8:51 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Posted by: @peter-m-3

Actone destroys the bed!

That statement is not entirely true.  It depends on how you use it.  Sparingly is the key term.  I can reset the surface.  

I have used it now 5 times and none of my beds have been destroyed.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 18/01/2021 1:13 pm
Robin
(@robin)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @cwbullet
Posted by: @peter-m-3

Actone destroys the bed!

That statement is not entirely true.  It depends on how you use it.  Sparingly is the key term.  I can reset the surface.  

I have used it now 5 times and none of my beds have been destroyed.  

That statement is also not entirely true. It depends on the kind of sheet you use.

According to Prusa acetone may be used on the smooth sheet from time to time to renew the surface but never on the textured one.

If your bed is clean and you tried different filaments (PLA?) and it still does not stick, z-height is the most probable cause. You should live-adjust the nozzle to a lower position (higher offset value).

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Posted : 19/01/2021 3:28 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@robin

That is actually not true.  I have used it on both textured and smooth with no destruction and it renewed adhesiveness on both.  I own 12 different Prusas and dozens of sheets.  I have first hand experience.  It should be a last resort, but it is worth a try if you sheet is not sticking and you considering replacing it.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 19/01/2021 3:36 pm
Robin
(@robin)
Prominent Member

Well, it is true. Check it yourself: https://help.prusa3d.com/en/article/flexible-steel-sheets_2195

Quote: "Never clean the textured sheet with acetone and never apply ABS juice on it, it is causing the powder coating to crack and wear down."

You may have done it, but Prusa says "don't" - that's all I said...

Posted : 19/01/2021 3:41 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@robin

That refers to routine cleaning.  So, basically to you, you would rather throw a beck away than violate a recommendation.   Now, that is not smart.  The beds have no warrantee after an period of use.  I have restored at least 6 beds now to full adhesion with a little spray of acetone.  I think it is worth the risk if the risk is I am gonna toss it if it does not work.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 19/01/2021 4:12 pm
Robin
(@robin)
Prominent Member

Easy, cwbullet, easy. Have a nice day!

Posted : 19/01/2021 5:33 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@robin

Not an issue.  I think we are talking two different tissues.  Routine cleaning vs restoration of a dying plate.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 19/01/2021 6:14 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

If a $30-40 sheet starts giving me poor adhesion, I'm going to do something to fix it. Never mind the manufacturer's (CYA) recommendations. Prusa has changed guidance over time, and many of us are set in "the old ways". As Chuck notes, there's no real warranty on the sheets, so there's little reason not to try additional measures when the recommended steps fail.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 19/01/2021 6:29 pm
SteveT
(@stevet)

What type of filament and is is the smooth sheet or the textured sheet.

If textured I really do find cleaning with dishwashing soap works well. Squirt the soap directly onto surface and rub in well with a dry scouring pad then run lots of hot water over it until all soap has disappeared.
I find I have to do this often to keep good adhesion.
It still needs a good Z height calibration though.

If the smooth sheet then can still use soap as above but also clean regularly with 99.99% IPA and nothing else and clean almost each print.
In addition they do eventually loose adhesion then use fine wire wool or very fine polishing tape and using circular motion roughen up the surface slightly, clean with IPA and away you go it will last for many more prints.
You can do this many time before the PEI sheet needs replacing. I have roughened them up over 20 times without any issues.

Steve

This post was modified 3 years ago 3 times by SteveT
Posted : 19/01/2021 10:00 pm
Share: