Notifications
Clear all

Mirror on printbed  

RSS
SapperDoc
(@sapperdoc)
Mirror on printbed

I've read a ton of places, watched a ton of videos, and it seems like a lot of makers use a mirror on their heated bed. However, I never see anyone here talking about it (I may have just missed it). So here's the question, is a mirror a worthwhile upgrade? I've gouged my PEI a couple of times removing prints and like the idea of printing on the perfectly smooth surface of glass/mirror. 

Posted : 14/07/2020 8:53 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
RE: Mirror on printbed

Each to their own preferences, 

I had glass on my Mk1 Prusa, I didn't like it... 

the Mk2 was, for me an immense improvement, and the removeable build plate on later printers is even better, for me... 

I have a Geeetech Prusa i3 Pro B... that came with a glass build plate... I have just replaced it with a magnetic heatbed and removeable build plate... 

Some folk love Glass / Mirrors... 

the Prusa Printers have Pinda Probes, they don't play nicely with glass build plates... 

If you do a search, you should be able to find a thread where someone has changed their start Gcode to pause whilst a glass / mirror sheet is installed after the mesh bed levelling is complete. and you may be able to find someone who has replaced the Pinda, with a BL Tough probe, to overcome the pinda probe / glass issue...   
then you have the problem of holding down the mirror/glass
I have used Swiss Clips, in Preference to foldback clips

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 14/07/2020 9:14 pm
SapperDoc liked
Share: