Notifications
Clear all

XYZ Calibration Hell  

RSS
ianstock
(@ianstock)
XYZ Calibration Hell

My Mk2.5 worked fine for months and then required a calibration. I have tried everything I can think of including using a digital micrometer to measure alignment of Z-axis frame and checking bed height.  (One side of the bed is about 1/32" above the other.)

I have moved the PINDA up and down and think I have it in the right place.  The nozzle is just off the bed when it calibrates.

When it does the 1st iteration of the XYZ Calibration, at the 2nd location (right side of bed) the head doesn't get anywhere near the bed and only takes 2 or 3 passes before moving on.

I get the dreaded XYZ Calibration failed.  Consult Manual error.

I am at a total loss.

Ian

Posted : 09/05/2019 10:12 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member
RE: XYZ Calibration Hell

No experience with a MK2.5, but on a Mk3 the XYZ can fail if the HOME position is off.  E.g., if something keeps the extruder from getting all the way left, it creates an offset and the cal points can be over shot when the calibration runs.  

But then there's this:

https://github.com/prusa3d/Prusa-Firmware/issues/764

This post was modified 5 years ago by --
Posted : 10/05/2019 8:06 am
ianstock
(@ianstock)
Topic starter answered:

I keep getting the same failure but have no idea where to start looking for the fix.  Is there a diagnostic tool that will tell me what is wrong other than simply saying "fail"?

Posted : 10/05/2019 3:06 pm
ianstock
(@ianstock)
Topic starter answered:

I have found the XZY Calibration Details.  What does it mean when the result is:

Y distance from min:

Left: 4.54 mm

Centre: 4.45 mm

Right: 4.36 mm

Posted : 10/05/2019 3:08 pm
ianstock
(@ianstock)
Topic starter answered:

and "Measured Skew: 0.95 degrees

Posted : 10/05/2019 3:11 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

Here's some Prusa info that discusses XYZ numbers... I believe the numbers represent the distance from home to each of the reference dots in the heat bed. Ideally the distances should be equal. But if the bed is rotated, i.e., the Y rods not perpendicular to the X axis, you see differences between left and right.

https://help.prusa3d.com/article/PBlnvMN6pt-xyz-calibration-details

https://help.prusa3d.com/article/fja7hbb22y-xyz-calibration-error-messages-mk-3

ps: I searched Google to find those links. My query was:

what do the xyz calibration details mean on prusa printers

To be honest, I've never had issues, but my skew is only 0.03 degrees.  And I have a Mk3.

This post was modified 5 years ago 2 times by --
Posted : 11/05/2019 9:37 am
gnat
 gnat
(@gnat)
Noble Member

I just went through this with my 3S yesterday after rebuilding my extruder. The XYZ calibration kept failing to find the first point and the knowledge base was useless. 

Finally on a whim I reran the self test and that reported a problem with my X axis. Turned out even though I thought it was moving well, but apparently there was enough friction to trip it up (I have Drylin bushings on the X and over tightened them). 

So try the self test and see if it gives you more info. 

MMU tips and troubleshooting
Posted : 13/05/2019 2:01 am
Share: