Notifications
Clear all

Upgrade to Mk3S+ x-end assemblies ok? SLA ok?  

RSS
Hiro Protagonist
(@hiro-protagonist)
Upgrade to Mk3S+ x-end assemblies ok? SLA ok?

I'm doing the upgrade now and discovering things wrong with the printer. X-ends (the ones which hold the z-axis bearings and x-rods) need replacement due to excessive play.

Is it all good to use the updated Mk3S+ parts? And thoughts about SLA printing them instead of PETG?

Posted : 29/05/2021 9:25 pm
Chicago Keri
(@chicago-keri)
Estimable Member
RE: Upgrade to Mk3S+ x-end assemblies ok? SLA ok?

If you are upgrading the MK2.5 or 2.5s, the MK3, 3s, 3s+ X- axis ends and carriage should fit but have no provision for the X Axis end stop, or limit  switch.

So, maybe the idler side X axis end might work.  You could possibly rig an X axis end stop switch to the MK3 motor side X axis end and the X carriage, but why not just use the MK2.5 parts which are basically the same but already have the mountings for the X axis limit switch.

I'm not sure about SLA printing for the X axis parts.  Aren't the parts rather large for an SLA printer? Seems like it would take a lot of resin.  They would probably look really nice.  It would be cool to see pictures of it if you try it.

¡no entiendo Español!
Nein! Nicht Versteh!
Я немного говорю по-русски но не очень хорошо, и...
I'm not very good at English either! Maybe someday I'll find a language I'm good at?

Posted : 30/05/2021 7:57 pm
Hiro Protagonist
(@hiro-protagonist)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Upgrade to Mk3S+ x-end assemblies ok? SLA ok?

You were curious about the SLA print, here are some images.  Surface finish not perfect, but that might be because I'm a resin newbie.

The dimensions are quite accurate, I put in some of the nuts and they slide into the slots with amazing ease. Haven't put in any bearings yet. The resin I used is brittle though, I don't think it would work well, especially for this part which needs to accept the rods. Still learning about resin...a whole different world but the resolution is amazing.

Posted : 01/06/2021 9:12 am
Share: