XYZ Calibration Problem After Firmware Upgrade to 3.0.12

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
T.McD
(@t-mcd)

I've been Printing flawlessly for weeks and upon upgrading to 3.0.12 my next print failed during the standard mesh bed leveling. It continued to fail thereafter so I attempted to recalibrate xyz which continually fails at the first nozzle/probe position as if the P.I.N.D.A. Probe is no longer working (I believe it's still working though).

I don't receive an error message during the XYZ Calibration. When holding the sheet of paper under the nozzle, the nozzle begins to dig into the bed every single time regardless of the adjustments I make with the P.I.N.D.A. Probe. My Probe appears to have power based on the red LED.

Other than adjusting the P.I.N.D.A. Probe, which has NO impact my XYZ Calibration, I have no idea what to do... All troubleshooting leads to adjusting the Probe. Any and all help would sincerely be appreciated. Thank you in advance....

Posted : 19/07/2017 8:01 am
slippyr4
(@slippyr4)
Eminent Member
Re: XYZ Calibration Problem After Firmware Upgrade to 3.0.12

Do a self test to verify the probe still works.

Also try lowering the probe so it's flush with or even below the nozzle, just for calibration, to see if it works.

You could also try starting the calibration from pronterface by issuing:

M45 V2

It's the exact same command but you will get some diagnostic data output to the terminal which might help work out what's going on. You could paste that here for example.

Posted : 19/07/2017 7:02 pm
T.McD
(@t-mcd)
Topic starter answered:

In response to slippyr4, I tried the following per recommendation:

1. Recommendation - Do a self test to verify the probe still works: Self Test Passed - The P.I.N.D.A. Probe red LED Light was on when calibrating the Bed (Note: Only one calibration point is used during the self-test, calibration point #1 in the front row, left side of the bed).
2. Recommendation - Try lowering the probe so it's flush with or even below the nozzle, just for calibration, to see if it works: I lowered the P.I.N.D.A. Probe approximately 3mm lower than the Nozzle and left the two set screws loose to ensure the Probe could retract, doesn’t get damaged. The XYZ Calibration test starts at calibration point #1 (front row, left side of the bed) where the Probe LED light was on around the Calibration Point and off when over the Calibration Point. Once the Probe moved over calibration point #2 (front row, center), the Probe’s Red LED Light WAS NOT on and there was no light around the Calibration Point. As the test continued, the Probe soon touched the paper on the Bed and began to retract as the Nozzle came down to scratch the bed. There are No Errors; the Nozzle keeps digging into the bed until the test is stopped. The P.I.N.D.A Probe LED Light was on near calibration point #1 but it was OFF around calibration point #2.
3. I attempted a Mesh Bed Leveling to discover the P.I.N.D.A. Probe’s red LED light comes on for only three (the three calibration point areas along the Y-Axis of the bed) of the nine.

Findings:
1. The Red LED Light on the P.I.N.D.A. Probe is only ON when it is positioned near three of the nine bed calibration points, the three calibration points along the Y-Axis of the bed (points #1, 4, and 7). The LED light remains off around and over the other six Calibration Points.
2. Found a FORUM entry by Peter (PJR) at http://shop.prusa3d.com/forum/prusa-i3-kit-building-calibrating-first-print-main-f6/23-days-of-print-time-stopped-working-suddenly-t4879.html#p35691 The entry was similar to what was happening with my P.I.N.D.A. Probe so I applied Peter’s advice to soon conclude, my Probe’s wire was intermitting. I removed all the zip ties and wire wrap to expose the Probe’s wire and discovered if I wiggle the Probe’s wire near the 90-degree bend, I would get an intermittent light.

Solution:
Since I don’t have an extra P.I.N.D.A. Probe, I soldered new wire between the Probe (left 50mm of original wire attached to Probe) and the RAMBO Board connector coming from the Probe. Once the Probe’s wire was replaced, all tests and Calibrations passed as they should. I have no idea as to why the Probe started failing/intermitting immediately after I upgraded to 3.0.12. I have no idea if there is a relation…sensitivity increased with the revised XYZ Calibration???? I don’t know but replacing the Probe’s wiring fixed this one.

Thank you to slippyr4 for starting me down the right path and to Peter (PJR) for providing insight in resolving this confusing failure. Thank you!

Posted : 20/07/2017 6:33 am
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator

Yes, this has been reported a few times and has happened to me (twice) but after upgrading the cable management at the rear of the extruder to Mk2S, it does appear to reduce the possibility of this happening.

Peter

Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage…

Posted : 20/07/2017 10:45 am
Share: