Clear all

[Closed] Pause print in gcode  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
prusayo
(@prusayo)
Reputable Member
Pause print in gcode

I have added m600 to gcode to do colorprint but I would now like to pause a print at a specific layer to insert an object, then press a button to continue the print. Should I add M226 to gcode or is there something more that needs to be done?

Posted : 16/10/2016 4:31 am
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator
Re: Pause print in gcode

Marlin firmware is not a "Pause" but a "Wait for pin state":

// M226 P<pin number> S<pin state>- Wait until the specified pin reaches the state required

You will need to know the pin and its default state for the rotary encoder.

M25 can be used to "Pause SD Print", but I am not sure how that will work for USB print. And in any event, you will want to move the nozzle away from the part.

It would probably be best if you use M600 as that does everything you need.

Peter

Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage…

Posted : 16/10/2016 11:25 am
prusayo
(@prusayo)
Reputable Member
Topic starter answered:

Ok, M600 it is then. I never would have thought there wouldn't be a pause command one could use with the mk2. Odd, but good to know, thanks.

Posted : 17/10/2016 3:51 am
krystof
(@krystof)

For prints I need to pause for a while (for example to insert a metal piece, nut or a magnet* into a print**), I use this method:
1. slice the model just like you would normally do
2. note down exact heights where you want to pause the print (in Slic3r it could be found in preview tab, moving the layer slider)
3. go to https://www.prusaprinters.org/color-print/ drag and drop generated gcode. Add as many color changes as you like and save the gcode (preferably under a different name, i case you need to come back to the original gcode).
4. open the newly generated gcode file in a notepad (i like to use PS pad - www.pspad.com) and search for code m600 and replace it with following set od commands:
M601
M300
M1
M602

If you are intrerested what it does, please check https://github.com/prusa3d/Prusa-Firmware/wiki/Supported-G-codes , where you find a full explanation of each command.
5. Printing - the printer beeps, pauses and extruder moves away from the model, so you can do whatever you need to do with it. The printer waits for user to press the knob to continue. Once you do, the print is resumed from the position where it ended. It is wise remove all filament that might have leaked from the nozzle while pausing before pressing the knob.

Hope it works for you.

* Yes, it is safe ti insert magnets into your prints, it does NOT interfere with Pinda and calibration process in any way. I personally confirmed it with Prusa customer support. And then tried many times myself.

**When inserting other parts into prints, you just have to make sure nothing sticks out. Not even a little. It is wise to add a little tolerance to be on a safe side.

Posted : 25/10/2017 10:33 am
RedTrain liked
krzysztof.m3
(@krzysztof-m3)

Did you try this on MK3? When I use those procedure I can't resume print.
Pushing button do nothing. One thing I can do is use menu and "resume print" but after that printer starts resume and pausing again.
And so on...

Posted : 24/01/2019 11:23 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

try this

G1 X10.000 Y200.000 E0; parking position GET THE PRUSA TO STICK IT'S TONGUE OUT! (edited to revise Y coordinate)
M1; user stop
M105; return to current temp

Insert the code above, at the layer height you want to insert the item at,

the extruder should go to the back left, leaving the build plate almost fully accessible for part insertion...

if the extruder is in the way, change Y200.000 to Y10.000

the print should progress normally to the desired height, then park the head out of the way,

insert your component / components, and them press the button...(if using octoprint, press resume button on octoprint)

and hopefully your print should continue, without having to change filament

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 24/01/2019 2:05 pm
John
 John
(@john-6)
Reputable Member

Did you try this on MK3? When I use those procedure I can't resume print.
Pushing button do nothing. One thing I can do is use menu and "resume print" but after that printer starts resume and pausing again.
And so on...

Based on the comments in a similar thread there is a bug in the software.

i3 Mk3 [aug 2018] upgrade>>> i3MK3/S+[Dec 2023]

Posted : 24/01/2019 10:35 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Hi Jon,

What John says, is partially correct,

M601
M300
M1
M602

has a bug in it...

the code I posted, above, at 1:05pm, does not exhibit the bug.

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 25/01/2019 2:15 am
rkayakr
(@rkayakr)
Trusted Member

Thanks Joan. It worked for me.
Tip - if you're using Octoprint restart with "resume" button on web page, not button on printer.

Posted : 06/02/2019 6:01 pm
NTX9
 NTX9
(@ntx9)
Eminent Member

try this

G1 X10.000 Y10.000 E0; parking position GET THE PRUSA TO STICK IT'S TONGUE OUT!
M1; user stop

Insert the code above, at the layer height you want to insert the item at,

the extruder should go to the back left, leaving the build plate almost fully accessible for part insertion...

if the extruder is in the way, change Y10.000 to Y200.000

the print should progress normally to the desired height, then park the head out of the way,

insert your component / components, and them press the button...

and hopefully your print should continue, without having to change filament

regards Joan

I am also using the M600 command for this exact purpose and was wondering if there was a way to avoid the filament swap and get the print bed out front. Will try your suggestion above. Thanks.

Posted : 22/02/2019 4:19 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Hi Chris,

Let us know if you have success!

Joan

Posted : 22/02/2019 10:45 am
NTX9
 NTX9
(@ntx9)
Eminent Member

Hi Chris,

Let us know if you have success!

Joan

Joan,

Close but not quite. The printer stopped at the right level but the print bed was near the start position instead of being out front (like when the print stops).

Shouldn't the Y coordinate be 200.000 in the following code? (I see now that you suggested that earlier)

Also, I moved the bed and it missed the target when starting back up. It seems that knocking the bed off position is inevitable. Should I add a line of code to re-home this axis after the restart? Beeper added for when I get distracted...

M300 ;ACTIVATE BEEPER
G1 X10.000 Y210.000 E0; parking position GET THE PRUSA TO STICK IT'S TONGUE OUT!
M1; user stop
G1 X10.000 Y10.000 E0

Also, nothing happened when I pressed the button to restart. At least not until I realized the code paused my octoprint server...

Posted : 23/02/2019 3:00 am
NTX9
 NTX9
(@ntx9)
Eminent Member

M300 ;ACTIVATE BEEPER
G1 X10.000 Y210.000 E0; parking position GET THE PRUSA TO STICK IT'S TONGUE OUT!
M1; user stop
G1 X10.000 Y10.000 E0

This seemed to work. I might be worth adding M106 & M107 commands to get the next level glued down really tight.

By the way, I found several sources that suggested that the magnetic field is better if you put metal behind it. I am using a steel washer for this purpose and it really does seem to improve the magnets performance. Also makes it easier to install multiple magnets. The image below shows the magnet assembly and a couple prints that I had to jettison because the tolerances where too tight for the washers.

Posted : 23/02/2019 5:21 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

My error, sorry,

should read

G1 X10.000 Y200.000 E0; parking position GET THE PRUSA TO STICK IT'S TONGUE OUT!
M1; user stop

Posted : 23/02/2019 8:00 pm
NTX9
 NTX9
(@ntx9)
Eminent Member

My error, sorry,

should read

G1 X10.000 Y200.000 E0; parking position GET THE PRUSA TO STICK IT'S TONGUE OUT!
M1; user stop

Joan,

I am still getting some Y drift on resume so I added a G28 to rehome the Y axis. This appears to work.

M300 ;ACTIVATE BEEPER
M1; user stop
G28 Y

BTW I think you may be the most helpful person on this forum. It seems like every time I come up with some issue, there is a thread where you have already helped someone with that issue.

Posted : 23/02/2019 8:07 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Thanks Chris,

I am a Relatively newbie moderator, there are others who helped me get where I am...

and you yourself are adding value by trying additional options. like homing Y axis...

Regards Joan

Posted : 24/02/2019 3:39 am
gnat
 gnat
(@gnat)
Noble Member

Thanks Chris and Joan!

I just ran into wanting to insert something into a print and my attempts at reading the gcode docs wasn't successful. The code you two came up with here works a treat. Thanks.

MMU tips and troubleshooting
Posted : 25/02/2019 11:49 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Glad to help!

Joan

Posted : 26/02/2019 12:57 am
Jakub Geyer
(@jakub-geyer)

This GCODE works best for me on Prusa i3 MK3 (and should work on most printers, check supported GCODE):

G1 X10.000 Y210.000 E0; parking position
M17; turn on steppers (prevent moving)
M300 S2500 P1000; beep
M117 PAUSED; write message
M1; user stop

You can also home XY before continue but with M17 it not necessary:
G28 X Y; home X and Y (just to be sure)

You can also include message directly into M1 command (instead M117), depends on your printer GCODE support:
M1 PAUSED; user stop with message

Posted : 26/02/2019 8:58 am
torsten.l
(@torsten-l)

What exactly is the bug in the M601/M602 process proposed earlier? I would prefer to have the nozzle cool down during the pause, so as not to cook the filament if I'm not there to respond immediately (overnight prints!).

Yes, I could obviously insert the temp codes manually into the gcode file, but it's another step and a possible source of mistakes (just lazily copy+pasting from a previous print could, for example, result in a PETG print resuming at PLA temperature). Having the printer store the "temperature of the day" is safer.

/Torsten

Posted : 26/02/2019 9:41 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: